Owasco Owasco FLTA Tourney 6-1-14

Launched out of the South Shore Marina fishing the Finger Lakes Trollers Assosiation Tourney and ran North, found some good looking water and decided to setup in a 100 fow a bit before where I planned ...  We ran rigs, cores, coppers and riggers... Well it didn't take long and we were bringing laker after laker to the boat...  The lakers wanted small spoons and red and orange were hot colors.. We got 3 decent lakers in the cooler and decided to sneak in a bit shallower and found some good bait and nice marks and worked the area for a bit and changing out a lot of colors until we found out what the fish wanted and it finally paid off landing 2 really nice Rainbows and releasing the smaller of the 2.... About mid morning started heading back south and all the boats that where focused to the south end in the morning were up north now so we had the southend to ourselves so focused out deep and found some real active marks and dropped the gear to them and it was game on instantly improving our laker box in 10 mins...  We needed 1 more off fish so snuck back in shallow for one last shot at a brown and it pays off bringing a nice 4.5 brown to the boat.....  We ended the day going 19 for 19 and headed to the scales...  Knew we had a good box but thought it would probably be a close one with all the great competition and fisherman in our club...   We end up pulling off the win with a total weight 25.11 lbs and taking home the FLTA Owasco Tournament ...  Finger Lakes tackle and some of our old O&M lures were the hot ticket today, bright colors seemed to be the ticket.... Great job to all that fished and see you at Cayuga the 22nd....

Mike   

post-148405-0-41670200-1401671422_thumb.jpg

Awesome job Mike! Went in a bit blind having never fished Owasco before. We went a few miles up hit the first point saw bait popping shallow marked a small cloud and our 45 rigger with a DWB scorpion takes a vicious shot and we land a nice bow. Back around and pick two Lakers on same spoon. Decide to keep heading North hit one more Laker (small) end up North end 100-120 fow set out my favorite FLTACKLE paddle ( green ITO fly) on #1 dipsy back 280' "wire rod" start to get a consistent bite. Upgrade our box to just over 20 lbs ( third) with 4 fish. Fun day on water overall 7 for 10, lost a really hard fighting fish on dipsy.... looking forward to Cayuga!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congrats guys....a little different lake to fish than Seneca size wise eh? Nice going  with the fishing.

You guys did a AWESOME job for your first time there..Great box of fish and im sure next tournament your gonna be tough to beat on your home lake Cayuga....

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do love Cayuga... but I am not betting the farm, Mike your setup is top-notch we will do our best to hang with you and all the other top notch fishermen/ women in the FLTA can't wait!

Next tourney for us is the 333 MLP, June 14-15 Cayuga! ( our practice.. lol)

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Didn't know what to expect from Owasco Sunday. Fishing reports hadn't been good and I hadn't had time to pre fish. But as one of my fellow competitors said at the launch, when the fishing is tuff, it's tuff for everyone.

We ran about half way down the lake and started setting up at 5AM over 150FOW. Ran rigs, riggers and boards (six rods total). Ran our "bright day" program of proven spoons that have taken 'bows and lakers in Owasco over the years. Also ran a couple of glow spoons as I often do before the sun comes up.....

First hit was a heavy fish that put up an exciting fight on a rig. Was astonished when the fish turned out to be a 10lb. CATFISH. Taken 50 feet down over  150 FOW on  a Silver Streak Glow Dirty White Boy. Go figure!

Fish started hitting regularly after the sun came up and by 7:30 we had 20 lbs in the box. Fished the rest of the morning trying to catch rainbows with zero success.

We barely managed to take lunker with a 10-5 laker (next biggest was 10-1) and finished a disappointing 4th. Over all a good day considering the recent reports and also managed to finish ahead of several charter captains......

On the down side, several of my competitors have taken to calling me "Catfish". This is going to take some time to live this one down.

Great Job Mike! My dad and I were glad you got it. My girls had fun on the lake and we got some good fish. Big Lakers were right up in the top 20ft of water out deep. The ten pounder was on a four color at 2.5 GPS. Lost two good fish that came undone on the 200 copper and dumped a big eye at the back of the boat that was on a 100 copper rig. Havent been to owasco in a couple years so it was nice to be on some different water.

All my short leads and coppers were hot all day with small bright colored spoons... Thanks guys .. Sean one year we caught a 10 pound walleye on a rig it was pretty cool but they dont put up much of a fight but some darn good eating...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app