fish tags

Hey Guys!

Caught a rainbow off Hugh's with a Orange tag. Not sure who's tag it is. One side has MEA 0126. Other side has 905-640-6204.

I know Canada has MNR (ministry of natural resources) I would like ta tell whoevers fish that was that we took it to dinner.

Thanks for any help!

Zern

Using Google for Telephone number you get this:

• General Inquiry: 905-640-6204
    Fax: 905-640-6206
    Address: 
    13232 Hwy 48
    Stouffville ON L4A7X3

Hi, Glenn Anderson here. Yes it's a Metro East Anglers tag. We operate a fish ladder on the Rouge River north east of Toronto and tag all rainbows lifted at the ladder.

I will check my tagging records and let you know when this fish was tagged.

They sure travel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The data from our tagging records shows that this rainbow was 2.65lbs, 19.5 inches in length and was tagged at the fish ladder on April 12, 2014.

The tagging location is at: 43.868137, -79.261885

If you want to see where that is, cut and paste that lat/Lon into Google maps, then switch to satellite view.

Zern, if you can give me a little more detail about where it was caught I can complete the records for this fish.

Thanks much!

Glenn Anderson

Metro East Anglers/Ringwood Fish Culture Station

Edited by TheMarlinSeat

LOL....almost seems that way sometimes!

The MEA stocks thousands of yearling rainbows into the Rouge River watershed each year.

We tag the returning adults at the fish ladder for few of reasons:

1. Each spring the ladder is opened and fish manually lifted past a 12 foot dam that impedes their upstream migration. Untagged fish get a fancy new tag and any returning fish with tags are re-assessed for body condition, weight and length. This data is compiled year over year and helps determine growth rates and the returning population size, which is helpful in determining quality of the forage base in Lake Ontario.

2. Fish that are tagged and recaptured in other north shore tribs in subsequent years helps us assess straying rates for returning adult rainbows.

3. Fish that are recaptured out on the lake and get reported by folks such as yourselves help us determine range and distribution of rainbows using north shore tribs for spawning.

4. Untagged returning adults each year may represent a portion of the recruitment from the Rouge watershed and is a potential measure of our stocking efforts and natural reproduction.

We typically get a low percentage of returning tagged adults with some straying of tagged fish to other tribs and we get many of our offshore tag return calls from the US side of the lake.

Thanks for reporting any MEA tags that you may come across. Please feel free to post them here and I will do my best to provide details for those interested.

Glenn

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by TheMarlinSeat

We caught a 8# bow today off the oak with a red tag. Im almost embarrassed to say, I was my first time getting a tagged fish and had no clue what to do. I didnt want it out of the water any longer and let it go. It had #'s, but they were to small to read clearly. Anyone know about red tags?

The MEA used red tags 3 years ago and switched to the orange ones for the last 2 spring lifts.

Assuming the fish was tagged in its first run at 2 years old that would put it around it around 5 years old.

Another interesting tidbit about the tags, most of the returning tagged fish we see have algae growing on one side of the tag, I usually have to scrape it off to read the tag numbers. Since algae needs sunlight to grow, I'm assuming that these bows are spending a lot of time quite shallow in the water column.

Glenn

WOW. Tagged this year!  Fish was caught roughly one mile North of Hugh's marina or NNE of Pultneyville NY. 25 feet down over 120 feet of water on a  orange/silver NK28. I did not weight the fish at time. We caught 6 more steelies in the general area.

It was 1st fish we caught on the day and rainbow being one of my favorite fish to eat, (and it was perfect eating size)I through him in the cooler.  I still have the tag and will return it if ya want.  Let me know if there is any other info ya need.

Zern

Edited by zern

Impressive, as the crow flies that's a 110 mile swim. I'd guess he hung around spawning in the Rouge until at least late April, then bashed his head on a bunch on rocks exiting the river before swimming over to your lure. I would probably guess he traveled close to 200 miles to get to you, in about 4 weeks.

Just for interest sake, Let's rough out that travel period to May 1 to June 1, for 1 month of total travel.

1 month is 720 hours. 200 miles in 720 hours is about a quarter of an mile per hour.

So that fish sustained an average speed of .25 MPH for 4 weeks after spending 4-6 weeks running upstream in a fast, cold river...then fighting a pile of larger males for a couple of weeks and spawning with as many females as he could find.

When I think about it that way, I gotta respect that fish!

If anyone else comes across a tagged fish, good information to collect in addition to the tag number is length, weight and location of capture.

Zern, no need to return the tag, info was great.

Thanks!

Glenn

Edited by TheMarlinSeat

HOLY SMOKES!

But he must have been just about out of energy cuz after eating him, I had a to take a nap! :P

If I am every lucky enough to catch another I will get the extra info ya need. Thank you very much for responding Glenn!

We caught a 8# bow today off the oak with a red tag. Im almost embarrassed to say, I was my first time getting a tagged fish and had no clue what to do. I didnt want it out of the water any longer and let it go. It had #'s, but they were to small to read clearly. Anyone know about red tags?

I wish I'd managed a picture of it first but we got him back in the water strong and healthy.  Someone else will keep him - and be able to read the tag with younger eyes!

we to did 5 rainbows out in front of hugh's 30/150. 1 was a 12lb native still full to the till with eggs. as we passed the shoot for lunch at the point we let dec take a good look at them. probably the best colored looking rainbow ive seen in the late spring in a wile.

this info here is just awesome to see and thank you very much  with the back ground of this fish here

Edited by crumcake1223