break in

I just repowered last year and was told by the engine builder that with the tolerances as close as they are now a days, the only breakin on the engine was put the idle at 1500rpm for 15 minutes in neutral to get a wear pattern on the cam. After that you are done with breakin. However, the same isn't true for the outdrive. The outdrive manufacturer want a ten hour breakin, varying the speeds every 20-30 minutes and nothing over 3/4 throttle for the full ten hours. They don't want the whole time to be trolling, instead vary the speed and burn some gas.

Well I wasn't going to post a reply to this thread because I figured there would be to many that disagreed with me. Run it at 800 to 1800 hundred for a 1/2 an hour or so at the dock with no load varying back and forth to beak in the cam, lifters, and rings. Change the oil with a new filter and if you already didn't at start up initially, fill the new filter with oil before you install it before restart. ( if possible that should be done at every oil change ). Then as allout said run the dang thing varying rpm's & speed on plane for 4 ta 5 hrs and have at it with your normal trolling & engine maintenance after that

I'm sure J'Bill will chime in here as well.

Do you guys break in your new car or truck engines - of course not.

I agree with L&M.

Of course I do. I break in aircraft engines, chain saw engines, car/truck/motorcycle engines, boat engines etc. per the manufacturers recommendations. I've never had an engine of any type prematurely fail or use excessive oil in any equipment. Maybe I'm lucky or blessed or maybe proper break in does help to ensure better service.

Why not follow the manufacturers' recommended proceedures. After all, they are the designers, manufacterers and testers. They have a vested interest in their engines providing good service to thier customers.

jeky I am being sarcastic, I would buy any of your used engines, you are the exception to the rule.

Most people don't think about whats going on under the cover, just turn the key and go.

I have 220,000 miles on my truck and the service dept. always try to sell me special high mileage oil. I ask them how did I get this many miles in the first place with normal 10w-30 all these years? They just look at me funny.