Steelhead Spoons

Orange, hot pinks, reds, midsize and smaller usually, not the magnum sizes so much (at least for me). Toss in some gold/silver for overcast/sunny days maybe some bright prism tapes. 

I'm definitely old school, so for me it's sutton 44, alpena diamonds, andy reekers, original Joe Rieffer pirate 44s, eppinger flutter spoons. One of the younger guys can chime in on the new school stuff...

My stuff has seen so much action over the years it's all been resprayed multiple times with fluorescent paints. If you have some favorite spoon brands with colors that have fallen out of your favor, I'd do the same, re-paint them and save a lot of cash compared to buying new stuff. Bargain bin spoons in poor colors make great repaint candidates too. You really can't go wrong with repainting in fluorescent orange/pink/red where steelhead/rainbows are concerned.

Edited by John E Powell

• 4 weeks later...

John Powell's "old school" info mirrors my experience and I also repaint and tape up lures with compromised finishes. I have yet to catch a steelie or rainbow on a magnum sized spoon. The smaller spoons seem to work best for me trolled at pretty high speed or as sliders too. I find  the hammered silver Quick Strike #11's (if you can find them) to be particularly good at this. They also like Sutton West Rivers in brass and silver combo. Alpena Diamonds in silver (I add red spots to them by punching out red fluorescent tape with a paper punch).  Small/medium Evil Eyes black with orange or green tape and silver ones with the orange lightening across them. The largest spoons I've found successful are the Northern King 28's with the orange tape (black or silver spoons) and the Pirates of similar size.

Edited by Sk8man

• 1 month later...

Any mixed veggies pattern, orange ice glow and blue mahi glow northport nailers in 3.25" size.  Sometimes they like a slow blank like an evil eye especially when they come off their spawn in June and are lethargic.  Deeper into summer blue and silver patterns start working also.  There are some discontinued dreamweaver SS orange spoons in the discontinued section on the dreamweaver site for $3.00