5/31 On the water at 6:30, went to 25' and set up. First fish at 10:00 on a NBK and then the rest where steelheads 15' to 20' down on a black and orange with a copper back. Last fish that day at 1:00 PM. Did not move a rod for rest of the day. Went in at 4:30.

6/1 On the water at 6:00. Set up at the chute and tried the 18' water in close. 7:00 moved to 100' and started setting up and before I could set the last rod (one out four) Orange and black fires 25' down. 25" steelhead. Reset first rod and second rod fires evil eye chartreuse, black and silver. steelhead. This goes on for 1-1/2 hours then chicken wing fires 35' down. King 13lbs. Boated the fish and headed for home. All the action after the first fish was between 160' and 200'.

PS. Misterclean I saw you out there and tried to radio, but not sure which channel you where on. I stay on 72.

I was there sunday , first one at the public launch. We got 5 hits for the day, 2 small 18" steelheads and one 26" steelhead all off 6 color core down the middle. The other 2 hits came on a 30' downrigger and we lost both right at the back of the boat, I, m not sure what they were but both times my girlfriend got the hook caught in the net with the fish on the outside. She was bummed, any netting pointers?

I was there sunday , first one at the public launch. We got 5 hits for the day, 2 small 18" steelheads and one 26" steelhead all off 6 color core down the middle. The other 2 hits came on a 30' downrigger and we lost both right at the back of the boat, I, m not sure what they were but both times my girlfriend got the hook caught in the net with the fish on the outside. She was bummed, any netting pointers?

2 Things about netting: 1. Resist the temptation to reach way far out to net the fish at the first opportunity. 2. Hold the net like a harpoon and when the fish is right there plunge it under and then pull net up & out by the hoop- not the handle (it will eventually break). I like to electric tape a release to my net handle and use it to hold the net bag so it doesn't flow into the fish and get snagged on the hooks, the release will pop off the net as the fish goes into it.

chowder. Scotty makes a release for that purpose. I picked up two at screwy Louie's last spring. work well I may add.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To be honest w/ you I just use old worn out releases.

always lead the fish into the net head first but make sure the net is deeper than the fish and lift up to the fish as soon as the fish is all the way over the net

Edited by cpate1

Fish don't back up good.  Get the head and as much of the body in before lifting up.  The old release on the bag works great.  Like the other post said you don't want to streach out to reach the fish.  

Yea it was a great day for sure. I went out deep then kept doing a zig zag pattern working back in close lol. I came across a bunch of old marks (basically second bluff) so I played around there abit...Im gonna try for tomorrow night and go back to that 30 ft range and have at it.Ive been staying on 68 its always been a good channel for the area.

Lol ...I dont really like those net releases. Its just another thing to deal with lol. Netting is a skill though and basically just remain calm and once its close enough just get it out of the water and into the boat...

But yea should be a great weekend good luck everyone...

I don't understand fully the release on the net part here what does that get u?

It's real simple. When the net bag is clipped in the release it cannot flow with the boats current out into the fish and into the hooks in the fish's mouth before the hoop is under it. This isn't rocket science- just a helpful little aid in case you don't get the whole net under the fish at the right moment.

2 Things about netting: 1. Resist the temptation to reach way far out to net the fish at the first opportunity. 2. Hold the net like a harpoon and when the fish is right there plunge it under and then pull net up & out by the hoop- not the handle (it will eventually break). I like to electric tape a release to my net handle and use it to hold the net bag so it doesn't flow into the fish and get snagged on the hooks, the release will pop off the net as the fish goes into it.

The release on the net is a smokin' idea. :yes:  :yes:

I'm going have those on my nets before next time out.

Net story;

I had my gal's 14 yr old grandson with me last August when we hooked into a nice 'un.

I let him take the rod(his first ever King).

Got it ready to net, and I bobbled it and stopped cold as I saw the hook ready to be pulled loose from the net.

I had him grab the other net and I clam-sandwiched it the 2, and pulled it in the boat.

32 lb male, and that young man a happy camper!(he'll fish with me on Oneida next week)

That net release trick would have not had me in that situation.

Ok so u use a clip like u would use for a stacker on a rigger? Basically the two pinch pads that are connected via wire?

Take a release with a  tether and connect the end of the tether to the net handle and hook the bottom of  the net into the pad, thats it.  I  taped mine to the handle with electrical tape and it works fine.