Endless winter: Yes, there's still ice on Lake Superior

I just started reading a small book Shohola PA history 1600-1970 and in 1816 (nearly 100 years ago) it says:

"This was the year without summer. Ice, snow and frost existed in June, July and August and caused food shortages and great hardship"

Hmmm

Wait ru serious Lake Superior still has some ice on it?

The Today show showed pictures of beaches during the holiday  weekend.  Some of the pictures showed beaches on Superior that had  huge hunks of ice floating on it .  There was a guy in a kayak and people on the beach, not in the water.

Wow that is crazy. I remember the posts and imagery showing Lake Superior iced over. I guess that doesn't happen often. Was a brutal winter for sure

I just started reading a small book Shohola PA history 1600-1970 and in 1816 (nearly 100 years ago) it says:

"This was the year without summer. Ice, snow and frost existed in June, July and August and caused food shortages and great hardship"

Hmmm

I remember reading about that in a restaurant in Old Forge it said that they had a snowstorm in July that dumped two feet of snow.

I caught a 9lbs. walleye 3 weeks ago that had roe in it still.  There wasn't a lot about an 1/8 cup but I have never had that happen before and everyone just looked at me funny when I told them.