Bag v Kicker

I recently purchased a bigger(22')boat and it does not come with a kicker mtr on it.

My question is (until I save up some $) is it worth buying 1 or 2 trolling bags ? If so how big of bags do I buy ?

Thanks guys

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have done both, kicker is the way to go.  It gives you 2 motors so you have a back up and saves wear and tear on your big engine. It is hard on the bigger engines running at idle or just above for long periods of time. 

On bag size I would suggest 2 one for each side.  I ran 1 bag on 1 side of the boat and it liked to run sideways. I have a 23' long by 8' wide boat with a 150hp outboard and run (2) 18" bags.  That will slow my big motor at idle to about 1mph or less.  

Edited by Chas0218

I'm old school.  I have an 18' tracker with a 75 on it.   Just couldn't get it to idle low enough to troll under 3.5 -4 mph.    

I tossed out two 5 gallon pails with trip ropes to dump them, and cleated them to the sides by the bow.

However, after a carb rebuild, engine will now idle down to 2 mph without those darn buckets.   

They worked however, and no one could tell they were there...unless you were on the boat.   Saved a lot on buying bags....and when those on the boat

laughed at them, I suggested they could pay for bags, or swim home.

Be sure you deploy the bag on the side of the boat that your prop is spinning other wise it will pull your boat sideways.  In otherwords a standard rotation prop is spinning to the right.  Bag in on the right.  You may not need a bag if you can go slow enough and also adjust your carb properly.  My motors idle comfortable at 550 rpms and with edelbrock carbs they sip fuel.  No kicker needed.  I can also with one bag in get my 9000lb boat to go 1.0.  It will take some effort but you can get it to do what you want.

I have a kicker on my islander but have considered getting some bags as well. There are times when the bags would be used when I am running the main engine when I need greater steering ability