Cayuga Murk and Dirt

Hi, for the past 2 or 3 wks, Cayuga lake - at least from Union Springs to Long Point - has been oddly murky, with a vis of only about 3 ft. This is VERY unusual for this time of year. Yet yesterday I was on the lake near Lansing, and the water was clear and normal. Anyone have any ideas about what's going on with Cayuga?

I agree with Bigfoot, the run off from the storms the last three week has things stirred up. Saturday on the north end it was like fishing at Lowes Home Improvement. I landed a 6 foot long 2X6, two 8' long 3" diameter tree branches and 125' of 3/4 PVC water line complete with foot valve and screen on the end. That's just what I saw and was able to get my hands on so be careful out there for the next couple of weeks its a mine field.

Mark 

Edited by Lil Jake

It's from all of the run off and the lake being so high.  It'll settle down soon.  Like was mentioned above, there is a TON of junk floating in the water so everyone should be very careful when running their boats.

Thanks for your thoughts.....but we have had no rain to speak of, and the creeks have been running clear for about 10 days.....yes, the lake level is very high (with a lot of crap floating), but with no additional mud running into it, I am bewildered as to why it won't clear up. And I still scratch my head as to why it is clear and normal near Lansing, but not at Aurora. The south end is where the big tribs are and is where most of the mud comes in.

Because the.lake flows north. It has taken quite some time for all the mud and debris to clear from my area which is just north of the plant. Mud in south end has to flow north. We had some NW winds as well and that prolongs the dispersion.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app