New regs

Today is the day that the new regs requiring the removal of all plant and animal material from boats, trailers and other equipment; as well as the draining of all bilge areas and  livewells before leaving the launch area; takes effect at NYSDEC launch sites.

So, if you trailer your boat like I do, good luck trying to comply. If you don't use DEC launch sites, you aren't off the hook: bills are pending in the NYS assembly and senate (with both democratic and republican sponsors) that would extend the regulations to all boat launches state wide.

If you leave you boat in the water for the season you are really screwed. When you remove the boat at the end of the season you are required to remove remove all those zebras on your hull (before leaving the launch area). I hope you have a high pressure washer in your back pocket.

If your hull feels rough they want you to wipe it down with a towel and an ammonia solution.

They also suggest draining your motor after every trip.

They suggest air drying your boat for 7 days to kill invasives. If this isn't possible, then they recommend disinfecting your boat with bleach.

If Prince Andy is trying to kill boating in NYS he is on the right track.....

Snapping turtles,ducks,geese,herons,deer,racoons,etc please wash thoroughly before entering and after leaving the lake. If you have a freighter with a bilge full of milfoil,mussels,and gobies welcome to new york.

Nothing better than passing more unenforceable laws that literally cannot be complied with completely!    The biggest thing that you just cannot clean is anything stuck between the boat and trailer.  I do what I can when I trailer but I know Im not getting it all.  The 7 day thing is just absurd.  If your boat sits around more than 7 days regularly why have one...cheaper to take a charter if you fish that little. What happens to all of the bleach and disinfectants that will be sprayed over and over at the launch?  Wont that drain to the lake and over time cause a problem?  Who monitors the concentration of the "mild" bleach solution?  Chemicals just cant be great over time.  Not to mention the chaos at the launch area if people actually try to comply.  Seems like someone in Albany would see the problem with this legislation.  Im definitely for making an effort to slow invasives...but this isnt the answer. I find it hard to believe this law will have ANY positive impact on the environment. 

When I come up for a week at a time I fish 3 sometime 4 different bodies of water, I always pull the drain plug and pull off the weeds, so what more am I supposed to do? Should I carry a spray bottle of simple green or a light mixture of bleach water, and just where are we supposed to do this, when 3 guys stand there huffing and puffing because its taking more than a minute to get the boat on the trailer? Who is going to be the referee when the fists start flying at the launches because from what I gather this needs to be done at the launch, does this mean in the parking area or in Shute area?

The way this thing is handled, makes me laugh. It goes to show what kind of people we have running New York State. You can blame the federal government for all the invasive species we have swimming in our waters and walking our pastures today. Our government should have passed strict laws 30 yrs ago to prevent this problem. The damage is already done. Passing new laws wont control the problem. Our Voters continue to Reelect The same breed of politicians every year. This is election year. Vote everyone out of office. New york State should have cleaning stations now at every ramp paid by every boater. It would not cost much to put them in. only thing we can do is clean our boat every time we move it to a different lake. Make sure you drain the water out of your motors and make sure you have no water in the boat before you leave the ramp. Good luck. 5 out of 10 boaters will do all of this.  

Ray 

hmm catch basins,then hauling so called toxic waste.....Ill bet ramp fees will really get cheep...lets see who will this effect??? The little guys trying to have some fun with kids tubing,fishing,or enjoying a day on the water ,or the big shipping Co...................ahh just pass the bill put someone"s face on camera saving the state from all the dumb voters er i mean boaters...Oh that million tons of salt wont hurt a thing,or Cow sludge from the Mega farms around the lake....of wait i sold my boat and am moving from this TAX HOLE..

I said it before "BUFFOONS" in government. .lol..yup, wash yer boat off at the ramp with chemicals to drain back in the water. Some of these critters are microscopic. .sea fleas..pollen..better carry a microscope in yer back pockets to make sure ya got Em all...where is there already no invasive critters and flora. They have been washing boats by the foot for dollars at Otsego Lake in Cooperstown for 20 years or more...didn't work...at least for the invasion of critters. However the village got extra income on their launch...Albany can follow that idea right? I might be right behind ya soon Ray! Excelsior State was properly applied as the ridiculous taxes, fees, surcharges and fines will always move ever upwards. .

Bring yer waders..and nose pins...it's gonna be a stinky slimy PAVED..launch..

cent frum my notso smart fone

I washed my boat after work today and with all this talk i decided to take a fair shot at washing out my bilge. I got in there as best i could with cleaners and brushes and elbow grease. I'm sure i whacked a few microorganisms but it still looks sketchy in there.

Since the law requires that you remove all visible plant material, if you come off the lake after dark, can I assume that you don't have to remove it since you can't see it? :)

Truth is I can deal with the PIA plants. If anyone has any suggestions on how to remove all of the sea fleas (short of a flamethrower)I would love to hear them.

Taughannock had an employee of the state checking trailers, and asking that bilges and hulls be drained at the launch yesterday.

If that employee finds seaweed dragging from the center bunks of my trailer...they better be prepared to squirm under there..and be skinny enough to remove it. I ain't crawling like a snake under there. We got a problem!

cent frum my notso smart fone

Seaweed shouldn’t be a problem. Most of it will dry out and fall off your trailer by the time you get home with your boat. Its water left in your boat and motor that collects all the microorganism that spread to another lake. My launch at Sampson state park is loaded with the crap. My trailer is covered with it when I pull my boat out. There’s no way I’m going to crawl under my trailer and pick the stuff off. Nature put it there ,nature can dry it out and blow it away. Its been 5 years my boat as seen another lake. All the crap I collect with it came from Seneca Lake. If I fish another lake I fish with them with their boat. Sampson is probably one of the worst ramps on the Finger lakes for seaweed. by september its so thick you cant use the ramp. a constant north wind for a few days will plug the ramp up.