20lb vs 30lb for spoon rigger setups

I have 3 Okuma rigger rods teamed up w/ 30lb Maxi on 47LC reels that I use for spoons on the riggers. Main line is 'albrighted' to a 15' 20lb FC leader. The knots don't always go thru the guides just right if a fish is on under challenging conditions. Thinking about just respooling these reels with 20lb and eliminating the weak link. Any opinions about 30 vs. 20. I'll be using these for flat lines in early season too for kings.

I would suggest changing your knot.  I have used 50lbs mono tied to 12lbs leader and never had an issue with it coming thru the eyes.  I use a double uni knot. Make sure you lube up the knot good with spit or dish soap.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/double-uni-knot/

Edited by Chas0218

Way too heavy for spoon rods. Go with. Lighter line. Ur hook up rate will increase And it can handle the fish.

I roll with 12floro

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You run straight 12lbs. flouro on rigger lines?  That is kind of a waste, mono is much cheaper and will get the job done.  I personally wouldn't fish with anything lighter than 20lbs. for salmon but hey thats just me.  Granted you can fit more line on the spool but you would have to fight the fish for a long time on that weight line.

Edited by Chas0218

I'd tie your 30 lbs maxi to a 50 lbs spro swivel...then tie on a 8 ft section of 15 lbs (or your 20) floro.  Take the leader off if running paddles/flies.  If you go lighter than 30, you're gonna get tons of fleas building on your line in a few weeks.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

I run 17lb trilene xt to a small spro swivel then a leader no longer than the rod length. Have not broke the main yet. Have caught plenty of fish. Let the fish run and fight that's half the fun.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run 17lb trilene xt to a small spro swivel then a leader no longer than the rod length. Have not broke the main yet. Have caught plenty of fish. Let the fish run and fight that's half the fun.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah Buddy!!

I run 30 on my flasher fly rods I used to run 30mono then 25 floro on all my rods but went to dan keating seminar and he runs 12 stren ( not even sure if it's floro Scored a few free spools at show. )on his spoon rods So I tried it My catch rate went way up Lighter line. Gives spoon more action Less risitance in the water I was like no way at first I had to get over the fact was worried about breaking off fish. But I never really did Pick up his book. Or video keAting on kings

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I can't believe people are using heavy line like this.  20lb?  50lb?!?!?!  Are you kidding me?  The heaviest line I have on down rigger rods is 14lb, and Ive never had a break off.  Even on my wire dipsys I only use 17lb leader.  Im shocked right now

Double uni for me......30 # Ande or Big Game ( in prime flea season). If I run a spoon off of it, then I run a generous 12-15 ft of #15 lb Seguar fluorocarbon.... Ive never had any issues with the knots get hung up or catching fish for that matter....

I went to that Dan Keating seminar....I asked him about his #12 rigs and what he did when the fleas were bad....His answer " I just go offshore further where the fleas aren't bad." Really Dan? I told him that in prime flea season, #12 would look like a dock line if he tried running that stuff.....  He did have good info on rigging though.

Lake Michigan and Lake Ontario Salmon fishing has a lot in common....While they are similar, people need to remember that they are very different....

For Dan's guys a really big fish is 20lbs ! So break offs are not a daily concern.

I think part of my problem is the guides on the Okuma rods. I've got 8lb w/ a spro to 6lb FC on my Eagle Claw light browns rods and no problem getting the line thru the guides. I'll have to experiment w/ the knot & agree w/ all on the fleas although you Ontario guys have no idea how lucky you are not to deal with the sub species of flea present on Cayuga.

back in the late eightys and early nintys when we fished the lake with my dad we never had any line heavier than 14lb on the riggers and we used no leader. breakoffs werent a problem. in flea season you need thicker line for the fleas but you can still leader down for better action on the spoons and with a smooth drag 12lb test is pretty tough to break grab a buddy have him hold the rod and you yank on the line trying to break it and leave the drag where you would if fishing if the line isnt frayd 12lb line is not gonna break without a mistake like thumbing a spool my biggest ever king (35lbs) came on 12lb test that had been on the reel for multiple seasons and had countless fish on it.

I run 30lb big game with a 8 foot FCC 15 lb leader using an Albright knot. No issues with fleas nor knot going thru my ocuma rods.

I use the 30# sea flea from Blood Run, I heard that they are coming out with a 20# line of sea flea, I hate the FAT line. I normally use 30# power pro which is 8 # diameter and for walleye run 8 # Fluor leader and for everything else 12# fluro, knock on wood I haven't had to much trouble with the fleas, Oh I use a size 8 Spro swivel so everything winds right up into the eyelets and the reel guides, I also by dumb luck found that size 7 Spro swivels will work also, so I think I will use these for my salmon rods, they are rated for 75# as the 8's are rated at 50# which is plenty strong enough, but I grabbed a bag of size 7's by mistake. Good luck to all, be safe and tight lines to all also PAP

I'd run 15 all season if it wasn't for the fleas. Anybody that says they run light line all year...doesn't fish Late June-August. Because you can't! Your line will look like 900 lbs test down to your release with all the fleas clinging to it. I fished a tournament last July with some guys that had 15 lbs ande on their rods. We would put the rigger rods down and 15 minutes later if we brought them up they were choked! After the first day I went and bought some flea-flicker and tied in a 100 ft section on all the rigger rods.

I'd tie your 30 lbs maxi to a 50 lbs spro swivel...then tie on a 8 ft section of 15 lbs (or your 20) floro.  Take the leader off if running paddles/flies.  If you go lighter than 30, you're gonna get tons of fleas building on your line in a few weeks.

I think this info is right on the  mark. I use 12 lb fluoro leaders on the Fingers and 20 lb on Lake O for salmon (Spring browns use12 lb fluoro leaders) If the 30 lb.mono is used as a main line you don't have to be as concerned with the fleas and they can really be a problem sometimes I use 30 lb. Blood Run Sea Flee line on the riggers as main lines as it has a slick coating on it as well.