ibay 6/4 Evening w/new toy

Installed my new FH X4 last week and had problems with it powering off or entering calibration screen.  Changed engine plugs to R type and tonight it was perfect.  Amazing how much I'm learning from it.  Don't know how much it contributed to tonight's catch, but I wouldn't have maintained the surface speed that I was without knowing how slow it was below.

Left the bay at 5:30 and straight north.  Not a boat in sight tonight.  Started setting lines at 80 fow continuing north.  Dropped the probe line at 60 with a DW wonderbread(superbread).  Other rigger with a DW 42nd at 40, and a 4 color leadcore with a Warrior Salmon Slammer custom.  Trolled out to 110 with nothing happening.  Marking fish at 30's or 80's.  This was a trial run for the Fish Hawk so I wasn't too concerned with catching tonight.  Had 48.7 degrees, 60 down over 110 fow.  Turned around and then it got fast and furious.  Maintained about 2.6 downspeed on a south troll.  Wonderbread rigger popped first with an 11 lb King.  Started setting rigger again and the leadcore rod shot down.  Decent fish but it popped off halfway in.  40 rigger fired with a skipper king on the DW 42nd.  Wonderbread rigger took a hit but only on for a few seconds.  Another quick strike on the leadcore with the Warrior spoon but gone by the time I got to the rod.  That was over 90 fow and nothing moved after that, or so I thought.  Started pulling lines at 70 and found a tiny King on the 40 rigger.  Don't care how good your releases are, this guy wasn't going to pop it.

Marked a ton of bait pods from 80 fow to 60 fow.  Down temp approx. 50.3 with a surface temp of 53.5 in that range.  Alewives are still as thick as can be in the channel and upper part of the bay.  Gulls are going to be obscenely large around here for awhile.  Good luck to all this weekend!

post-147840-0-24929400-1401933179_thumb.jpg

post-147840-0-14745900-1401933272_thumb.jpg

post-147840-0-14534100-1401933320_thumb.jpg

post-147840-0-95750800-1401933443_thumb.jpg

post-147840-0-61311200-1401933511_thumb.jpg

Wow just goes to show u how those kings will eat. That spoon looks really big for that guy! Love the fish hawk, that will be my next purchase for next year. Can't swing it this year

Looks like you had an awesome day! Heading out on Friday to hopefully catch a few. I got the fish hawk x4d last year and it is awesome. So are you running any flashers or just spoons behind the riggers? And how far are you running the spoons behind the ball? James

Looks like you had an awesome day! Heading out on Friday to hopefully catch a few. I got the fish hawk x4d last year and it is awesome. So are you running any flashers or just spoons behind the riggers? And how far are you running the spoons behind the ball? James

I wanted it simple so I was just running spoons. 20 back on the 40 down and 15 back on the 60 down. If I run flashers/spin doctors off the riggers, which is infrequent, no longer than 10-12 feet back or you can end up with some nasty tangles. Usually run spin doctors off dipsies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app