On an average at 2plus mph = 5ft for every color hope this helps, so 7x5 should be around the 35-37 ft mark. I use the 5 foot for every color and its darn close as I have bumped up in 37ft running 1.9 with a 7 color core out. I guess I can't type as fast as others, yea what the others said LOL PAP

Edited by pap

On an average at 2plus mph = 5ft for every color hope this helps, so 7x5 should be around the 35-37 ft mark. I use the 5 foot for every color and its darn close as I have bumped up in 37ft running 1.9 with a 7 color core out. I guess I can't type as fast as others, yea what the others said LOL PAP

The old school rule of thumb was 4-5' down for every color out before we had the benefit of technology to tell exact depth of your lure (i.e. SmartTroll). Someone posted SmartTroll data last year and a 5 color core was only down 14' at 2.5mph trolling speed and a 10 color core was down about 35'. Thus, I'd estimate the seven color is down around 25'.

Thanks again for your great reports today!

Chris

Our SOG was 2.5-2.8 and it's the 27 lb sheath LC which floats up a little more than 18 lb LC that's why we were guessing 30 ft down but I don't think it mattered much they were HUNGRY today!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The old school rule of thumb was 4-5' down for every color out before we had the benefit of technology to tell exact depth of your lure (i.e. SmartTroll). Someone posted SmartTroll data last year and a 5 color core was only down 14' at 2.5mph trolling speed and a 10 color core was down about 35'. Thus, I'd estimate the seven color is down around 25'.Thanks again for your great reports

Any weighted line wether lead core or snap weights are very speed depended, I have noticed that a .5mph makes a difference. With the different approaches being used for walleye these days, example, the reaction bite where speeds of 3mph are used I personally think a lure that reaches the depth you are targeting is a little better approach, then trying to guess with lead core or snap weights. The troller guide shows 27# lead core at 3mph 5 colors back at 19ft down would only be 3.8ft per color were the same color back at 2 mph is 33ft down, which is 6.6ft. Per color, it gets tricky with lead core but the above posts sums it up rather well, when they want what you are presenting being close is good enough. Thanks for the input and learning from each other is what makes this site so great!! Tight lines to all.