I'm headed up to the Thousand Islands late next week. We'll be camping at Wellesley Island State Park. Taking my 17' aluminum deep V. It's rigged for trolling (and general fishing) and I have two manual riggers. Not planning to do much trolling though. Looking to target Pike, LMB, SMB and walleye. I fished off of Wolfe Island last June and did awesome on the LMB and pike with Mepps #5 spinners. Planning to try that again.

Anybody have any general info on that area like where to target, what baits are hot, etc? Probably plan to spend a lot of time fishing Eel Bay, Lake of the Isles, and that general area. But the boat is easily trailerable so if Chaumont Bay is worth hitting, I could spend a day down there too. This won't be a "fill the freezer" trip but I'm sure I'll keep a Pike or two for dinner. I'd love to get in to some Walleyes if they're around. I've never targeted them before and I've yet to catch a walleye. Does trolling normally produce decent eyes? I'll probably take 4 planer boards and my most of my trolling gear. Not sure if I should bother taking the riggers or not. 

I've never been up that way so I'm not sure what to expect other than what I've read online. How's Eel Bay? Is it rocky, shallow, deep weedy muddy?? If anybody could give me some help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!

I haven't fished Wellesley in a while but Eel Bay is quite shallow for the most part and weedy. Much of it is about 2-6 ft deep until you get out toward the channel. A lot of big Northerns in there as well a some perch (mostly dinks) and huge bullheads. I used to have good luck with the SM bass and pike and perch right out from the launch ramp at Wellesley State Park campground. You might want to ask someone at the grocery/boat rental/bait shop where things have been happening. I never trailered my own boat up there just rented one so I didn't use downriggers or other stuff there. I was always leery of wiping out my prop and lower unit on those submerged boulders  in the river :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Washington island by Clayton set up a east drift toward round island 10-15fow with pike minnows did well there about this time last year also along the southern side of pickton island with cleos of all things on pike

Eel bay has some decent large mouth by the narrow channel

Sent from my ADR6350 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by minion

Between round and little round island trolling Rap Shad Rapalas flat lined has produced pike and SMB in good numbers for us in the past.  Drifting the west side of little round with minnows has also been decent.  Good luck.

I feel I can offer quite a bit of information on this subject. We go up to Cape Vincent the second week of June every year. Years ago when gas prices were cheap we just fired up the bass boat and ripped across  the  St Lawrence River...Now, we launch and trailer every day. It's cheaper on gas by far, most places have a free launch or $10 or less to launch ramp. EEL Bay is a fantastic spot as some have already said....and with the cold water this year do not be shocked to see a 40 pound Musky swimming in the shallows yet. A guy that was in a cabin next to us last year boated a Monster Musky in EEL Bay in June which is a bit unusual. Lots of largemouth Bass as well.  Buck Bay on the rock ledge side is great for Smallmouth bass, as you get deep into Buck Bay it gets weedy and there are nice Laregmouth in those Weeds along with Pike. Lake of the Isles I love for throwing frogs, the Pike tear up the frogs as do the bass. Chipewa Bay is a sensational spot for Pike and Bass, the water is very clear up there and you can site fish in many areas. The launch in Alexandria Bay coming out the water is extremely clear and you can see fish down 15 feet easily. However, there you launch your boat and walk a long long way to get back down to your boat, because their trailer parking is far away. We love fishing Lake Ontario as well. Chaumont Bay is one of our favorite spots. Find the grass and the the rocks and you find the fish, really quite simple. The smallmouth here are on Steroids, so hold on! Stony Creek and Stony Creek Pond offer phenomenal plastic worm/Frog and Jig fishing. Lots of Pickeral in here as well as pike. Carleton Island on the Side facing the USA is one of my favorite BIG PIKE spots. Cast toward shore and make a full pass from point to point....if nothing or not much drop back to 15-17 ft of water, you will see the drop off on your depth finder....Cast out and troll a stick bait let about 200 feet or so of line and they will slam it. We catch large pike here consistently every year in June. We will be up in two weeks. Can't wait!

Edited by Curt7234

If you wand to troll for big muskies hit steep drop offs with large buck tail spinners or stick baits. Get them down between 30-60ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I feel I can offer quite a bit of information on this subject. We go up to Cape Vincent the second week of June every year. Years ago when gas prices were cheap we just fired up the bass boat and ripped across  the  St Lawrence River...Now, we launch and trailer every day. It's cheaper on gas by far, most places have a free launch or $10 or less to launch ramp. EEL Bay is a fantastic spot as some have already said....and with the cold water this year do not be shocked to see a 40 pound Musky swimming in the shallows yet. A guy that was in a cabin next to us last year boated a Monster Musky in EEL Bay in June which is a bit unusual. Lots of largemouth Bass as well.  Buck Bay on the rock ledge side is great for Smallmouth bass, as you get deep into Buck Bay it gets weedy and there are nice Laregmouth in those Weeds along with Pike. Lake of the Isles I love for throwing frogs, the Pike tear up the frogs as do the bass. Chipewa Bay is a sensational spot for Pike and Bass, the water is very clear up there and you can site fish in many areas. The launch in Alexandria Bay coming out the water is extremely clear and you can see fish down 15 feet easily. However, there you launch your boat and walk a long long way to get back down to your boat, because their trailer parking is far away. We love fishing Lake Ontario as well. Chaumont Bay is one of our favorite spots. Find the grass and the the rocks and you find the fish, really quite simple. The smallmouth here are on Steroids, so hold on! Stony Creek and Stony Creek Pond offer phenomenal plastic worm/Frog and Jig fishing. Lots of Pickeral in here as well as pike. Carleton Island on the Side facing the USA is one of my favorite BIG PIKE spots. Cast toward shore and make a full pass from point to point....if nothing or not much drop back to 15-17 ft of water, you will see the drop off on your depth finder....Cast out and troll a stick bait let about 200 feet or so of line and they will slam it. We catch large pike here consistently every year in June. We will be up in two weeks. Can't wait!

Excellent post, lots of places to fish so little time!!

Thanks everyone!!

Question: I'm planning to keep the boat in the marina at the state park. The border line is literally RIGHT there. To get us into Eel bay, we'd have to go out around the north side of Wellesley Island. Will we have any issues with the border? I think I remember seeing the border clearly marked by bouys last year, but that was over at Wolfe Island. Do they patrol the border and throw you in the slammer if you cross it on a boat? How's that whole thing work? Also, what about getting through from the marina into Lake of the Isles? Can you boat through there? Looks pretty narrow and the border is shown going right through that area. Is that the area they call the "International Rift"? We don't have any plans to fish the Canadian side, just don't to get into any trouble navigating around through that area.

We used to rent a cottage between Clayton and A bay in the 60s and caught at lot of pike and SMB around Round and Little Round Islands - didn't troll back then.

While we fish LO and the FL's mainly these days for  T&S, for are adventures up in the TO neck of the woods we've switched to Black Lake for the good eaters.

We fished out of Sampson for the trout derby last month and the guy camped next to us was from Ogdensburgh. He showed us pictures of the Walleyes they hammered earlier in May and the SMB they got opening weekend last year.

Last year one the weeks we were up to Black Lake the Bass Tournament was on out of that area (Waddington). Guys were running all the way back down the river to Henderson, which is a trip. A lot of water between Ogdensburgh and Chamout Bay, all gorgeous.

If the river blows up for day, give Black Lake a shot. That's what happened to us when we were camping a few years back at Burnham Point near Cape Vincent. Once we hit Black Lake we got addicted to the Pan Fish. We don't target bass there but get them anyway along with Pike and the Cats.

Good Luck.

I love that area!!  Had a cottage in Chippewa bay for 8 years and I do miss it.  Wellesley Island state park is a really great campground.  Not much to add, the advise here is all great.  You already know to watch the rocks, but so few are marked it can't be said often enough. There are over 1800 Islands above the water, and probably that many again just below the surface.   Enjoy, it truly is a paradise !

Just be careful not to fish on the Canadian side of the line (without getting a Canadian license first...I think you can get them right on Wellesley  a ways from the park.

Remember bass season starts 6/21. There is no catch and release season on the st Lawrence river

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I remember that being the case in Canada last year for Bass. But I looked in the NY regs booklet today and it said "Statewide regulations apply" so I checked those and it said 3rd weekend in June is when Bass season opens, but catch and release was permitted. I'll double check the book just in case I misread it. 

ahh I read it wrong. So no catch & release for small & large mouths? I assume we'll still catch a handful even though we're planning to target pike. Do they hassle you up there if you C&R bass? I'll be fishing mainly with spinners. using 30 lb braid and 18lb flouro leader. I do have a handful of steel leaders but I'd rather not use them unless I have to.

Are the safe channels marked fairly well in that area? My boat only drafts about 12-18" I think. Really don't want to tear anything up.

You might get stopped and spoken to if you are targeting bass, but if your catching a few targeting pike you shouldn't have any problems. Your best bet would be to get a good set of charts. Most everything is marked pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We fished there the week before bass season last year and caught a ton of bass along with pike and didn't have a problem. If you go off the west side of the park at night with chicken livers and drop them down the ledges you'll catch big catfish!!

Get your FREAK on!!

You should talk to the young kid that works at Woodys which is the bait wood convenience store just before the park.

Memorial weekend he gave us great advice on what to use and where to fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app