Treble vs. Single Hooks

I run 3 point hooks , I know alot of guys run singls, less chance of break off and possible a bettter hook set. With 3 pt the line can get caught where the hooks join, I know of a guy that puts solder at that point to keep line from getting in there. I have never had the problem of break off. I like my chances with more points to set more hooks. Although I do have a few single hook spoons for a diffrent action.

I run what comes from the manufacturer. If it comes with a single I'll leave it a single. If it's a treble I'll leave it a treble. If I have to replace a hook on a spoon, I generally try to go with the same size and type (single, treble) as what originally came on the spoon. I like to leave the hooks like they came from the manufacturer so that I know that all of any particular make in my tackle box will run the same as the rest of that make. Just my $.02.

Trebles kill less fish, and hook up better. Singles work better on certain spoons. I like the action on Savants a lot better with a siawash (it comes with a treble). When running a spoon behind a flasher, run a treble....the extra kicking induced by the flasher makes the lure harder to catch (your hook-up ratio will suffer with a single). When you get a mature on a single siawash, it usually buries deep, and unfortunately the spoon will often get bent to sh*t. Test the spoon dockside. Adding a treble will add weight. You can use this to your advantage.......for example, if you want to run over 3 mph.....maybe a treble is a better option for good lure action because a single/spoon may be flipping over too much at that speed. Conversely, in heavy waves where you have to troll with the waves and with the current, if you strip the spoon down of all unnecessary weight it will stay kicking at resonable speed ( ie. replace treble with siawash single, remove split ring and use duolock swivel.

There's always some Wack-o in the crowd....I change all trebles to singles on spoons. Usually 3/0 or 4/0. Yes, I brain hook an occassional shaker but not very many. Over the years, flying solo, I've lost a lot less fish at the net with singles than trebles.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

as longline said the hookup ratio is better for single hook,or maybe i should say the land ratio is much better .the only lures i change hook weight are my sliders as i like to lighten the hook for a little more wild action on the slider ,notice i said weight, lighter hook more action and single hooks greatly increase catch ratio on a slider xtra sharp a must... as billy said i really dont go through the extra labor to change hooks like some people around here.. just do it to tune my slider.