Knot for trolling wire to swivel?

Hello -

I used to run my wire dipseys with single strand stainless steel monel wire. It was simple to attach swivels I would just use a Bimini twist. Monel is a larger diameter than the 19 strand wire so I switched 2 years ago to 19 strand 40lb trolling wire. I have had issues with the wire breaking where I tied it to the swivel when I jerk the rod in order to retrieve the diver/flasher/fly. I have been using a palomar as suggested to me by another fisherman. After sending yet another complete diver/flasher/fly rig to Davey Jones' locker yesterday I am about fed up and am considering going back to single strand. Before I do, please tell me what method of attachment you prefer for 17 strand wire to the swivel. Also, do you re-tie before every outing? Palomar knot? Crimps? Thank you very much.

Adam

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

With my wire lines I make a loop in the end and pass this through the swivel eye and then the swivel through the loop to form a slip knot on the eye. Then tie a single overhand knot in the main together with the short tag, about a half inch above swivel eye. Indestructible, I tie it up this way in the spring and it's good for the season, assuming I don't get the prop between the rod tip and a fish.

I also like to put a small bead on the wire before tying the swivel on, it keeps the knot from ramming into the top roller whenever it's reeled all the way in.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by TheMarlinSeat

Crimp sleeves crimped good and covered with clear hot glue....never had one break yet at that point

I have had good luck with a perfection loop in the wire. If you want to use a knot. No break offs over the last few years. Slip the loop through the eye of the swivel and half hitched. Don't use split rings...welded only!

cent frum my notso smart fone

With my wire lines I make a loop in the end and pass this through the swivel eye and then the swivel through the loop to form a slip knot on the eye. Then tie a single overhand knot in the main together with the short tag, about a half inch above swivel eye. Indestructible, I tie it up this way in the spring and it's good for the season, assuming I don't get the prop between the rod tip and a fish.

I also like to put a small bead on the wire before tying the swivel on, it keeps the knot from ramming into the top roller whenever it's reeled all the way in.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used this for wire all the way to my downrigger weights.  I have never had one fail.  The key to having them last is to check your connections prior to deploying every use.  I check mine before every trip but haven't needed to retie since I started using this knot 2 years ago.