Handline trolling on Keuka

That's the book. It was originally published in 1962 and then "updated" in 1975.

The Addison Public Library had it in the 60s and I checked it out several times. I wonder if they still have a copy....

It was special since the information was specific to The Finger lakes...

We use a technique locally called Yanking. We use copper or lead line with a flutter spoon. Let enough line out so you start to tick bottom. As the term infers you constantly yank the line (jig) as your line tic's bottom you'll feel the difference between that and being too high in the water column. We troll .5 - .8 mph while yanking. It is a very effective method to catch lakers. When you hook up you play out the extra line you may have accumulated while adjusting for variable depths and at that point you pick up the rood and reel the fish in.

Next time I go out and my buddy chooses to yank I'll film it so you can see exactly how it's done. My shoulders don't like it but he is a fool for it.

Spike

Old post ,

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/23017-fabulous-finger-lakes-trout-fishing-handbook/

Looks like they still have a few at a fair price...... I also found them on Amazon $64 for hard cover and $44 for paperback.... I bought one years ago at Barry's ???  out of Geneva on rt 5

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Earl+holdren&sts=t&tn=Fishing+Fabulous+Finger+Lakes+trout

Great lakes lure Company makes the #4 spoon, which is a copy of the Pflueger 4, but with the 5 hook already attached. Anyone interested in purchasing spoons for pulling copper can contact me by p.m. Or for any other inquires about casting, trolling or jigging spoons, produced by Great Lakes Lures.

Jason Oakes

Just because a technique takes work AND skill doesnt make it obsolete. Try jigging em without a fishfinder! You dont need one to pull copper. To each his own. The old ways may not be as efficient or easy, but for some that is the attraction. Ive tried pulling copper and it certainly isnt for me, but I respect those who came before me and the techniques they used and still use. There is no wrong way to enjoy the outdoors.

"There is no wrong way to enjoy the outdoors" is exactly right, and if someone is enjoying whatever style of fishing, then they're doing it right, and I'm not going to argue the pros/cons of anything...  but I feel like chiming in here...   it's definitely possible to jig lakers without a fishfinder, and do it well.  It just takes skill, same as you're talking about with the older techniques.  Just go jig in those same areas the guys pulling copper are in for example.

When this first exploded in the FLs ~10 years ago not many people knew what to do or where to fish.  Some guys had been jigging for a while but it really took off with the first LOU (all gone sadly) with many anglers contributing to the discussion and it was pretty cool to see the brainstorming and rapid development of some of these techniques and areas.

Anyway, I had just gotten into fishing and didn't have much.  Spent one whole summer jigging lakers in a 10' jon without a FF of any kind.   I used a count-down technique to stay in depth.  Got a Fishing Hot Spots map of Cayuga, some high-res depth data maps, and plotted good spots onto the waterproof Hot Spots map.   I knew very little about Cayuga at the time.  What I'm getting at is that even on unfamiliar water a little research can help you even if you don't have modern equipment.  

Caught lots of fish without the FF and I think it really helped to develop good technique and a feel for what they were up to, moods, time of day, etc.  I use the FF a lot today but all the tricks of how to actually jig (and where!) I learned without the FF.  A few years back it paid off when my FF crapped out on Seneca, it didn't ruin the day, I kept jigging.

It's true you can catch more fish with more modern equipment, but experience on the water is better than any electronic device.  Just my opinion... jigging isn't necessarily easier for the having the electronics and there is a wide range of skill levels.   One of the best things about it in my opinion is the cheap access it affords to deep fish and you can try it without a huge investment.

Edit: okay I see I snuck in a "pro" there at the end... :lol: but at least it ties in with not having a FF... 

Edited by hermit

Modern electronics are nice, but, all the money spent on them will still not help some people get Fish Sense, and will move the serious fisherman into a real hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Check out this thread. you will learn a lot!

Pulling Copper vs Seth Green Rig

Started by Gill-T, May 16

These are my go-to techniques when I want to catch fish. pulling copper is a good search method to find fish to jig.
Two pulls on the oares 3 pulles on the copper. My Grandmother loved to watch us get pulled 1.5 miles up the lake
by a big laker!
also a great way to catch jack perch,& huge smallmouth! just vary your depth.
Dick B.
p.s. when the fog rolled in on keuka, throw the line in pull for 5 minutes and you knew where you were, and how to get home.
learn the contours,bottom type, and hangups in a hurry.
Edited by Dick

I grew up pulling leadcore from victrollas on owasco. Great memorys! Caught everything from big fish, to a old trolling rod. And an old steel milking can that i thought was the fish of a lifetime. Hooked the handle so it swayed back an forth. Still go with my dad and fish like that sometimes. It is not difficult at all either. There are a few things to do so you dont end up with a mess but in my opinion its less hassle than a 4 or 6 rod spread. Im all for having a good time though. If its not fun whats the point. We usually run twin minnows. No spoons. Not much like jerk fishing. Just keep it ticking bottom an usually within a minute of feeling bottom your in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Caught lots of fish without the FF and I think it really helped to develop good technique and a feel for what they were up to, moods, time of day, etc.  I use the FF a lot today but all the tricks of how to actually jig (and where!) I learned without the FF.  A few years back it paid off when my FF crapped out on Seneca, it didn't ruin the day, I kept jigging.

It's true you can catch more fish with more modern equipment, but experience on the water is better than any electronic device.  Just my opinion... jigging isn't necessarily easier for the having the electronics and there is a wide range of skill levels.   One of the best things about it in my opinion is the cheap access it affords to deep fish and you can try it without a huge investment.

When I first started fishing for trout from a boat (my buddy's boat) we didn't have a fish finder and we used the anchor rope to judge our depth,It was marked in 20 ft.intervals with a permanent marker. We mostly still fished with live bait and I would generally be the one to deal with the anchor and we often fished for lakers in 100 plus ft of water....it was great incentive to spend the money on my first  Vexilar flasher (and the first Vexilar made by the way) :lol:  on the other hand it was a better workout than weight lifting and gave me Popeye arms....

There is a much greater reliance on electronics and "gizmos" these days and that is OK but it still helps to know what you are doing out there without the stuff.  It was a bit humorous during this years derby when my buddy Admiral Byrd remarked that twice I was "dead nuts" on line with his trajectory of the fish spot on his GPS when turning and going back and all I used was familiar landmarks and dead reckoning and because of being so familiar with the bottom characteristics etc. :)

Edited by Sk8man

The first time i ever fished copper was "pulling wire" on Owasco.  I can see why people adore doing it.  It's truly an art!  I un-knowingly dragged a 5 lbs Laker around for 20 minutes and never even knew he was on.  LOL.  And the copper back-lashed off the spool (an old bicycle wheel) we were using.  What a mess!  I appreciated the old timer that took me out.  We also fished sawbellys with the english hooks threaded through the back.  I liked that much better!

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE