First Otisco eye

MeatHunter737

Nice job! Otisco has a steep learning curve way to stay after it! Stop n see me at the campground and Id be happy to share some info. I also encourage everyone who fishes otisco eyes to please request an angler diary from the DEC region 7 office. Even if you dont fish much or catch much. We have to show the DEC how much we want stockings to continue and increase. They won't put em in if they dont know we target and catch em. The DEC needs the data to manage the fishery.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Is there alot of kids in the campground . I want to bring my family up so I can fish more . My boys are 6 and 8 and I see they have a playground . I stayed there about 9 years ago and people where partying all night and I never slept . By the way nice fish I am still after my first . Tried 3 times last year

Edited by fishinfreak

No all night partying going on here...once last summer there was a group that was loud and i had to say something to them, and Shane kicked them out in the AM and told them not to come back! As for kids there is usually some around. When you come stop by...cant miss me by the launch

Freak, last year was my first year fishing otisco soft water. Launched my yak out of the county park 5 times last year caught a lot of nice gills and perch, a few bass/one hawg.... and some small tigers. Each time I enjoyed the mixed bag but never landed an eye. I fish onieda in the fall for the numbers of walleye but this year I'm gonna put some time in at otisco and try trolling with my yak when the summer pattern starts up. It was just a thicker meatier fillet than a 19" from onieda so I got Jones to hook into a few more this summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys I live in whitney point / triangle so I am only 50 min away . I will try again this year . I also want to learn oneida I have never fished it . I am pretty good at lake Ontario salmon and trout but they just don't taste that good . Plus it is a long drive when you only have a 16 foot boat and have to turn around when the forcast was wrong .

Oneida is MUCH easier in that almost any strategy can work with a little effort pretty much all season. At Otisco you might pick up the occasional eye, but limits dont come easy and for consistency there is no 1 technique that works all season.

Justin gonna have to use my navionics to Guage speed and depth. What speed do you typically catch them on? I haven't guaged my speed yet but next time I'm out it will give me an idea.

I doubt you are gonna like my answer....avg summer trolling speed 3.0.

I use reaction bite trolling for eyes, but I also like it because i get big tigers, bass, and browns. I know the kind of ground I cover in a morning, and have canoed for 20 years and speed trolling doesnt seem feasible from a yak! Best thing to do is go see what speed your capable of sustaining, and then figure out what you can use that MIGHT work. It will take time, but ill help you out! I respect the effort and i cant wait to see it!

WOW!  3.0 for eyes!?  that's actually in my wheelhouse on my skiff.  I can't whoa up enough to troll on Oneida (1.5 - 2), but 3.0, that I can do.  I was considering Oneida this weekend, but Otisco is closer and the trolling speed is much more compatible with my boat.  I might just change my plans.  Any tips on what I should be pulling and how deep? I've never fished Otisco, so I'd be starting from scratch.

I think 3.0 is still a bit fast until the water temps rise, and a thermolcline sets up.  Ill be trolling for tigers this weekend at least that fast and if I get into any eyes Ill certainly post...I pull perch or purpledescant rapala deep taildancers size 9 and 11 along with shad raps in 8 and 9.  As for depth that too depends on temperature, but as a guess they will be 15-25 down now and as deep as 35 in peak summer.  BTW I troll Oneida at the same speed in summer...and catch eyes every time!  Trolling bags are a cheap way to get your speed down and you can even make them.  One thing to remember if you are trolling fast is leadcore, bottom bouncers, 3 way rigs, or any other speed dependant trolling will not work!  Except copper, but you'll be putting alot more in the water to get down.  

Last year was my first year owning my yak and never tried trolling with it, but I talked to a guy once that uses his trolling Cayuga with 5 oz of weight and 3 way swivel to catch lakers....I got my wheels turning now. Not sure if I can get out this weekend or not with so many father's in my life, looks like it may be a bbq and beer weekend....but I always enjoy reading your guys posts about otisco, I think I remember some of justins posts from last year!