Water Temp for Trout and Salmon?

What's up guys. I usually try to run in the low 50's as far as temperature, but I don't look at it a hell of a lot. I mostly just try to get the speed right. Anyone doing anything different or have something work better? Lemme know what ya think. Thanks!

Species Preferred

Temperature (F)

Preferred and Optimum Temperature Ranges for Trout and Salmon

Optimum Temperature

Preferred and Optimum Temperature Ranges for Trout and Salmon

(F)

Atlantic Salmon                                         55 - 65               60

Brown Trout                                               54 - 63              58

Rainbow

Trout/Steelhead                                         55 - 65               60

Lake Trout                                                 42 - 52               48

Coho Salmon                                             52 - 58               53

Chinook Salmon                                         52 - 58               53

• Like 1

I agree with Jakey....we caught ALOT of kings in 46-48 water last year....setting most baits below the 50 degree depth. We are catching Atlantic's on Champlain right now down 40 ft at 54 degrees.... When in doubt...fish the bait!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Although the chart gives some "desirable " temp ranges fish of all species can often be found outside these ranges and feeding is usually the reason.....ever go to a restaurant or grocery store in the winter when it is freezing outside? Same principle... we leave our desired or preferred temp or comfort zone for basic reasons but most of the time we remain inside where it is toasty. As the guys have already said find the bait (restaurant or grocery store) and you'll probably find your target species lurking nearby.

Edited by Sk8man

I looks for 42 deg for the bottom of my spread and work up from there.  Kings, especially mature kings, will move up into the warmer water when they are actively feeding, but when they are not, they drop down and like to hang down in the ice water.  They will still take a bait that passes in front of them though. 

Other than at first light when all bets are off as to depth and temp, every year I take most of my bigger kings out of the ice water.

Tim

Sweet, thanks for the input. I'll have to play around with different temps depending on where the bait is and what not... If I ever get the hell out there lol. Hopefully this weekend. Tight lines gents!

• 1 month later...

I look at temperature as a starting point, but like has already been stated, fish the bait, because the kings will be somewhere nearby.  Like Tim says, though, I always like to keep one rig (Usually a meat rig) down in that ice water, and the biggest fish I have caught have also come from the cold water.