Electronics help starcraft superfishman 196

fbg14619

Is there a centralized location for fuses? My running lights and all the console switch lights

have stopped working. Dealer  says I am looking at two weeks to get an appt.  Anyone have

any idea where/how to check this out. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Frank

I would guess there are fuses under the drivers console behind the dash. There is a good chance there are inline fuses on the wires at the battery or there might be a fuse block near the battery. If it is an older boat, there could also be issues with corrosion at any of the electrical connections, including the fuse holders. Wiggling the wiring while watching for lights to come back on might reveal that. I just had to go through and clean connections for all my fuses and some other connections with scotch brite pad and sandpaper.  I clean up battery connections every year.

Go to the auto parts store & get a tester that has an alligator clip & plastic pointed end w/ a light ( $6) . See if you are getting power to the fuse block. If yes ,then check to see if you are getting it at all fuses. .

My guess is you have a lose connection somewhere between the battery &/or at the  fuse block .

I had to wiggle/clean a few of my fuses as corrosion did same thing to me this year. A little emery  cloth or wire brush & you're good. A little Ox guard will prevent future corrosion. Buzz words for electrical are CLEAN & TIGHT. If lose will arc & cause ash that will insulate between the metal.

Fuse block probably behind or under dash.

Get some extra fuses to carry &  more importantly , get to know your boat, could save your life.

did you ask the dealer that question?

First thing I did was ask person that answered the phone on the service side.  They did not know.

Mechanics always have the answers but person that makes appts more often than not cant answer a specific question like where is fuse box if any on a boat they sold and have done all service on since it was bought new there.  I will get the circuit tester and try to see if I can get issue resolved asap. I dont have any other problems except this electrical problem which is only a problem at night.

Thanks to each and every one of you who have had a suggestion!