Kicker motor

Things to think about beforehand: Is it a 2 or 4 stroke (substantially heavier)? Just something to keep in mind is weight limitation regarding your transom and having a suitable bracket that will support it and raise and lower OK if your boat is large enough to support that big of a kicker properly.  Also check to see whether you will have enough clearance from the main motor as  a 20 is pretty "beefy". A kicker is certainly preferable to bags for a few reasons most important of which is safety (having alternate power) in addition to the fuel consumption issue. If a 2stroke...do you have a place to locate a separate fuel tank? and...what will be your throttle and steering options (especially if you fish solo at all)?

Edited by Sk8man

I have a trophy 23.5 hard top and it's pushed with a Yamaha T8. I would think 20 would be a bit much. I know a couple guys with 10 meter Trojans and 298 penn yans that use 25hp kickers. If the price was right and it works for you why not ???

'Bout Time

Mike

I run a 9.9 merc on my 221 islander works nice.,the other thing u need to factor in is will the kicker get u off the lake if u need it under tough conditions, not much seance of having a kicker and depending on it as a safety backup if it won't do the job