Caulk-ok, I'm saying uncle.

I've owned boats since before I had a drivers license and I've been forced to learn a thing or two along the way in regards to repairs and maintenance. Today I was beaten yet again by the dreaded cured caulk inside the tube. It matters not whether its the small "toothpaste tube" or the large gun cartridge, I get one use out of them and their SHOT.

I learned along time ago to only use the good stuff, but whether its 5200 or less permanent 4200, fast cure or slow cure, they provide endless aggravation after the initial use. I have tried all the all-time ways to seal them back up to no avail. Is there anyone out there who actually gets to use the whole tube or cartridge? How? I think they should sell this stuff in super glue sized tubes!

Vince, this works for me on the 3m 5200. Tube is from last year, still good. Took Saran Wrap pulled it over spout tightened cap on it. I use what I need by only pushing from bottom up then close her back up. I know it is frustrating but since I read about Saran Wrap it seems to work for some reason by keeping air out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You can also store them in large ziplocks for the small tubes and kitchen trash bag for the calk gun and wrap it good and fasten with a tie

Those are some good tips..glad to know I'm not the only one with the half wasted tube of 3M or silicone after opening. ...now what to do to stop when squeezing it to force out the remains and it exploded out the other end all over my paws!...swearing! ...go thru the day with fingers stuck together!

cent frum my notso smart fone

I like Rays recycling idea but I've always used Saran Wrap. Between the half dozen or so open tubes of various caulks and silicones in the taxidermy studio and the two tubes on the boat I have a lot invested in caulking. Saran Wrap keeps it working!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Per GE's website, check expiration date on the tube or what your preserving may not function as intended.

Push any air out of the nozzle by pushing the caulk all of the way to the tip before tightly replacing the cap. Store in a cool environment. If it is a squeeze tube, push the caulk up out of the nozzle before replacing the cap. Only twist cap until it stops. Do not wrench it or it will sheer and break off. You should squeeze some silicone into the tip of the cap. By doing so, you'll remove the cured silicone plug when removing the top.

Here is a simple trick that I have used with 5200 and also works great on construction adhesive (Pl Premium, Liquid nails etc.)  Let the 5200 cure in the tip, the cartridge is aluminum so the caulk still in the tube will not cure .  Slice the tip open length wise with a razor knife, pull out the cured caulk wrap the tip up with electrical tape and you're good to go.  Works for me every time.