Whos fish is it?

Truly whose fish is it?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is entitled to get the fish mounted?

• Boat owner
    • The person that reeled in the fish.

So the scenario is, you're fishing with a couple buddies one them catches a once in a lifetime fish who is entitled to the get the fish mounted?  This is your boat, tackle, ect. the only thing your buddy contributed is reeling in the fish maybe gas money.

I say boat owner but my buddy insist if he reels it in it's "his" fish.

Edited by Chas0218

goes to the guy who catches it  and you all should be happy  for him  and also happy it  was caught on your boat.   Now  you can go   out and  try to  best that fish.      happy fishing

I can't believe that's even in question. The person reeling it in. The fall LOC derby winner came off my boat last year. It was the guys first trip to LO and his first fish of the day. It's proudly displayed in his living room and I went to see it the other day. Nice replica. I thought about getting one but I didn't catch it so why should I have one. I do however have the trophy because he wanted me to have it. I also have a nice framed picture of us with the check and trophy and of him holding the fish.

Total Chaos

I'm not talking a derby fish that's a gimme. I'm just saying if you're out for fun. I would prefer the real thing skin mounts are cheaper.

I guess my downfall is letting everyone that goes with me reel in the fish.  I generally don't touch a rod unless it is to rig it.

Edited by Chas0218

Guy reeling in the fish.  Just because I paid for my kid to play soccer and drove him to practice and the games doesn't mean that I get his trophy at the end of the season.  I am just proud to be part of it.

I can see the statistical part of trolling though.  It is mostly luck who grabs which rod when it pops.  I grabbed the rod when a steely was so laim I wasn't even sure it was on there and the next rod went and the fish is doing back flips before he even grabbed the rod.  I am still whining about that.  Luck of draw on those trolling vessels. 

Don't worry be happy.  Keep a picture of the fish on your boat for future reference.

I would say the person who reeled it in. The captain should have the self satisfaction of putting the guy on the fish, so that being said no captain no fish for ur buddy. Kinda a double edge sword. The fish I have mounted are more about the story that the weight of it. Trolling along side of my grandpa s boat my dad netted it and good buddy at the wheel, opening weekend, ect, my biggets walleye came when  I was by myself. Yea not much story to that. other than havin a heck of  time getn it in the net in 3 ftrs in a 16 ft boat.

No reason why both can't have it mounted. Reproductions can be made and both people can have a mount. I have the skin mount of the 34lb laker caught on my boat and Kurt might get around to having a reproduction done some day!

The guy who reels it in always says it is his fish, but I always like to ask "could you cast from shore and catch it?"

I'd say it is his fish, but we all know who actually "hooked" the fish, and that to me is the challenge, any monkey can reel them in.

I've had 5 different guys get fish mounted off of my boat and I never thought about mounting one myself, but like gambler said, you can always get 2 mounts.

I take pride in the fish that come to the net on my boat...the smiles on the faces and watching is my trophy...period!!!!  If I get the itch to fish BAD myself i dont take guests I take Tracy or my son or solo.   When we are casting spring and fall for eyes its every man for himself until I limit.

Who ever reels her in! Unless your on the ocean and you land a tuna over 72 inches then Capt gets to keep and sell it. Some of them will give you a break on a future trip or some cash from the sale but not all of them. Sean

let me put another twist to the subject. A guy on your boat catches and keeps an illegal fish. Do you get the ticket or does he?

good fishing and tight lines.

No reason why both can't have it mounted. Reproductions can be made and both people can have a mount. I have the skin mount of the 34lb laker caught on my boat and Kurt might get around to having a reproduction done some day!

Kurt is growing a perfect reproduction out of hops, which he will then turn into laker beer...

So let me get this straight...You're the driver of the boat, your buddy is watching the lines.  A line goes off & he grabs the rod & reels like crazy to get it in.  It's a trophy salmon.  He tightens the drag as tight as it can go then points the rod directly at the fish and reels like a madman.  The line snaps.  You get all the "credit" for being a lousy fisherman & losing the fish...right?

:)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

The guy that catches the fish keeps it. As far as an undersized fish or over the limit, I am the captain of the boat and it is my responsibility to make sure all laws are followed. I would get the ticket unless someone lied about the measurement of a fish then I would tell DEC what happened and they would give the ticket to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United