Whos fish is it?

Truly whose fish is it?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is entitled to get the fish mounted?

• Boat owner
    • The person that reeled in the fish.

Its only a fish. There are a lot more trophies in this lake. Let the person that reeled it in have it..

Plus, there are more important things in live. Like, at least he didn't take the last beer! :ninja:

let me put another twist to the subject. A guy on your boat catches and keeps an illegal fish. Do you get the ticket or does he?

good fishing and tight lines.

I had that happen on my  boat, the warden did not ask who owned the boat, he wanted to know who hooked it and reeled it in and that is who got the ticket. The fish was 1/8 inch short (walleye) we told him to throw it back but........ yours was a great answer

I had that happen on my  boat, the warden did not ask who owned the boat, he wanted to know who hooked it and reeled it in and that is who got the ticket. The fish was 1/8 inch short (walleye) we told him to throw it back but........ yours was a great answer

I stand corrected.  I wasn't exactly sure how it worked never had it happen.

So let me get this straight...You're the driver of the boat, your buddy is watching the lines.  A line goes off & he grabs the rod & reels like crazy to get it in.  It's a trophy salmon.  He tightens the drag as tight as it can go then points the rod directly at the fish and reels like a madman.  The line snaps.  You get all the "credit" for being a lousy fisherman & losing the fish...right?

:)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

So you're saying if you drive and still see the rod first and tell someone to reel the fish in when you could have beaten them to the rod but let them reel in the fish it is still theirs? haha  My buddies seem to enjoy watching other boats around us than grabbing the rod and fighting fish. You snooze you loose!  :mooning:

I like the replies I'm getting. I suppose I need to start reeling in fish for them to be "mine".

So you're saying if you drive and still see the rod first and tell someone to reel the fish in when you could have beaten them to the rod but let them reel in the fish it is still theirs? haha

Scenario #2:  You & your buddy are trolling.(His boat)  Your driving.  Your buddy reels in the 7th T or S & it's thrown in the cooler. Each time you yelled "fish-on".   A C.O. happens to stop you on your way in for the day and asks "how many fish you catch?"  You jump right up & proudly say "I caught them all!"  (yeah...right)

Scenario #3:  Your driving & your buddy reels in a sturgeon.  Again you yelled "fish-on".  C.O. happens to be watching.  Again you jump right up & exclaim: "See what I caught!"  (yeah...right...again)

Scenario #4: You & buddy are fishing in his boat.  He drives out to his waypoints.  He tells you to drive while he sets up his "special-decial" lure on the 1st rod.  As he's letting line out, a trophy salmon hits it & he reels it in.  You jump right up & yell: "gurggle, gurggle, gurgle".  FYI, translated that means "I caught that fish because I was driving."  At least that's what  it probably sounds like that when you underwater trying to get back to the surface.

In all scenarios, you probably got what you deserved.  :)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

There are 2 parts to fishing  that are very different , kind of like offense & defense in baseball. There is the getting the fish to strike the lure, which in trolling is the guy/guys who choose the program & sets the lure in the right location .This to me is the hard part.

Then there is the reeling it in part, very different from the first part. You don't need to know squat about fishing to turn the reel handle.

But obviously& unfortuntly , it is the guy on the rod when it is brought to net.

Its teamwork in trolling! Does anyone really care whose fish it is? If you dont think so try solo with only 3 rods and see how "good" your spread and program are! The "reelers" need to know alot more than how to turn a handle...if they dont at the start of the day they will by the end...on my boat at least! If it doesnt matter who reels why are their tournament TEAMS?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Who drives when you are setting lines? Who nets when you are driving? We have list fish to bad driving, bad netting and bad reeling. I am a noobie, and admittedly not very talented however if everyone doesn't contribute nothing gets to the boat. Team effort for sure and the bickering is priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Only 3 rods?  When I run my 16' aluminum solo   Sept in front of the pierhead  I run sometimes one rod or 2 max & in 7 trips this fall I had 36 kings on,landed most  & I was off the water by 9 am most days. I feel I have the best spread possible then . Last Aug in my big boat I ran 5 rods Max & did well also,best spread for me then also.

Fishing to me is all about the strike, Derby time I like my turn on the rod ,but no derby, I hand the rod off to the grunts.

I would not be good on a salmon charter. I like the first part of the equation .

• 2 weeks later...

The person that reels in the fish gets to take claim on it. If your worried about getting to lay claim on some fish them take turns reeling them in. That's the way I always do it. I never take first fish, guest always get first fish. I would hate to see you run a charter business, you would have a lot of unhappy clients when you tell them that you're keeping their fish of a lifetime because you "caught it" and want to get it mounted and need a skin mount. 

I'd say it was a team effort, but the guy that grabbed the rod when it fired takes the fish if he so chooses. Take pride in knowing you put him/her on the fish while driving the boat and fishing your marks. It sounds to me like you need "auto pilot" if reeling in fish means that much to ya..

let me put another twist to the subject. A guy on your boat catches and keeps an illegal fish. Do you get the ticket or does he?

good fishing and tight lines.

He gets the ticket...you get your boat impounded...

cent frum my notso smart fone