Night Fishing

I am planning on fishing Lake Champlain this weekend for the derby.  It opens at midnight Friday and runs though monday evening at 4pm.  My question is weather it is worth trolling in the middle of the night with glow lure and flashers and what not or will I be wasting my time rather than sleeping to be fresh out on the water at 4am.  What are your thoughts.  I will be fishing for the lakers and Landlocks.  The solunar tables for what they are worth put some of the prime times right in the middle of the night.  Also do you guys find that the tables actually do work or is it bs.  I have noticed an increase in bites around the times they say but at others none.  So any advice will help.  Thanks

My opinion on the solunar tables is that it has the potential to make a big difference, however i think that weather conditions outweigh the solunar tables.  If the weather lines up correctly with the solunar tables, the bite could be outstanding. However if the weather does not cooperate, i think the solunar tables have minimal effects.  Just my opinion, i'm sure others on the site will have more to add though.

I have only tried trolling for lakers at night once (actually a few hours before sunrise).  However, that was before i had any glow spoons so i can't really say whether it would be worth it or not...sorry.

I think given the fact that it is a derby....catching a bunch of fish is not usually the object it is catching the biggest ...trolling at night for trout (different for walleyes) is always a big question mark about whether it is worth messing around and getting tangles etc. If it were me and the water is relatively calm I'd either get live bait and drift or anchor up or else jig after locating some big marks that look like the species you are targeting (often suspended at night). It is safer, potentially more productive and if you use some incandescent light (e..g. lantern) you may be able to "call the fish in" with it placed for example hanging from a downrigger off the side of the boat. The bugs will come then the bait after the bugs and the fish after the bait. Just a thought.... I've done all of them and night trolling for trout is the least productive (and quite diisorienting as well). Then troll as usual during first light. Nothing like starting to fall asleep and hearing a screaming drag going out and not being able to see where or what is causing it. :lol:

Edited by Sk8man