10 pound big game as back for 5 and 7 core?

So I know this may be pushing the envelope a but but do you think I can get away with 10 pound mono as backing on my 5 and 7 colors or should I just change it out to 15??? And what is the pros/cons of running braid as backing over just using mono? Just wondering thanks guys

I would not use backing of lesser strength than the line on top of it.  The general rule is backing stronger than core, and core stronger than leader. You want breakoffs to happen at the leader, not at the backing. Braid is fine for backing, especially if spool size is small. You can put a lot of 30# braid under 27# lead core - more than possible by using 12# Big Game. 30# braid is touted to be the same diameter as 8# mono; I'll to to trust the advertisers on this.

Mono works better in planner board releases. Braid may slip in clips. 

Mono has stretch, braid does not. This provides a bit of give to the line when attached to boards. I've had 30# braid backing break at the board on coppers but, I've never had a 30# mono backing break at the board on a 10 core. Mono stretch can also buffer the stress on a rod in a holder when using in-line boards.

Mono is usually easier to untangle however, braid can be bought in many colors. I have 4 different braid colors on my coppers which really aids in untangling lines. It can be really difficult untangling 2 coppers if both backings are green Power Pro. It is significantly easier when 1 backing is red, 1 is yellow, etc.

All said, I use 30# Big Game under 27# core and Power Pro under coppers. Your results may vary.

I use 40# Power Pro for backing under cores and coppers.  You can fit alot more on the reel due to the small diameter.  As far as clipping the boards on, just tie in a section of mono between your backing and leadcore and then you will solve that issue.

I use 40# Power Pro for backing under cores and coppers.  You can fit alot more on the reel due to the small diameter.  As far as clipping the boards on, just tie in a section of mono between your backing and leadcore and then you will solve that issue.

Yes, I should have said I use 40 and 50 lb Power Pro on my coppers. I broke several in my first 2 copper seasons using 30# braid. I still use 30# mono on my cores and have never had an issue with waves, boards and big fish. 

I connect to big boards with shower curtain rings and rubber bands. I've learned to make 2 loops in the line where I attach the rubber band keep the braid from slipping. I use a rubber band to lock in the braid on in line boards. I choose not to add any more knots than necessary in my lines. I've heard of guys adding a 1-foot section of mono every 50 feet in their backing in order to keep mono in the clips and have adjustment options. That is a lot of knot tying and, more importantly, a lot of unnecessary failure points. 

• 2 weeks later...

Based on my experience, 30# PP as backer on cores is absolutely terrible. I lost a pair of screaming kings a few weeks ago on 2 different cores due to the thin diameter power pro eating into itself on the spool and locking up. Fish gone. Spoon gone. Junk. 2 for 2 on that failure mode and I'm done with it. Off it came that night from all 6 of my cores and into the fire pit. Stuff burns well - finally found a good use for it. I hate the stuff.

Maybe 50# power pro wouldn't be as bad. I'm stuck using the 50# behind my two coppers and can't get around that due to reel space - now I'm nervous about having that. I have 20lb Big Game behind all my cores now (2,3,4,5,6,10). All I can say is don't use 30# PP as backer. Maybe increase to the 50# to get the larger diameter. Or go to mono.

I'm sure many will have comments about this post and many may have 30# PP as backer rigged right now... That's fine, but I feel obligated to share this. All I can say is once you have a day like I did, you'll be swapping out the stuff too. Losing screaming kings like that keeps you up at night... Especially when you know why it happened. I'll keep power pro on light action perch rods to get the sensitivity. Only good use for the stuff I've found.

Edited by FleetTracker

dont blame ya for switching. i run the 40 and 50# and knock on wood have never had an issue! make sure power pro winds on tight initially or deploy and retrieve entire length behind boat under tension it lays on spool better from what i have seen. i do this periodically too.

Ive noticed all my powerpro locks up on spool like that as well. I took it all of my reels last week and ran 15 lb mono on some cores and 30 on my bigger core setups. So far so good. Although I forgot to add more line to one reel and it just so happens this weekend it was the one a king screamed on. I was putting the brakes on so much cause I was looking at about 50 feet of line left. Lost the fish. Kind of upset I made that mistake. That would have made two kings to the boat Saturday morning. Ohhhh well that reel now sits in fix me mode until next trip out

• 8 months later...