2015 IPA and Winter Classic Events

The fish you catch in the morning will surely be dead by 2:30. Unless you drag a bait tank behind you. Do you have problems with cheaters? I guess I don't understand how this is possible. Looks like I won't be putting tip ups out till 2:00. Perch will be fine in a bucket of water,but it will be impossible to keep the bigger fish alive! Glad I didn't pre- register for all the tournaments. I have no way to keep them alive for 6 or more hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You are expected to drag around a 150qt cooler with water in it to keep them alive. 

If were checked before we go out how are the fish not going to be from that day? I don't get keeping the fish alive for 6 + hours I get the idea of it, but it's going to be difficult to keep a fish alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have spoken with several tourney directors and many anglers who fish events set-up just like this, where the fish do not have to be releasable, but must show signs of life at weigh-in. Everyone said there is no issue. I have kept fish over night in a dry bucket in the garage and they were still kicking once they thawed out the next morning when I went to fillet them up. The only way a fish will be dead is if left on the ice, or on the rare occassion that they inhale the hook and their mouth/gills get ripped up trying to recover it. My suggestion if they inhale the hook: cut the line and retrieve it after weigh-in.

We are allowing the use of stringers to keep the larger fish in the water or if you have a large cooler, that worlks great too (we keep multiple large pike alive for 2 days straight for the main IPA events and they are as good as you just caught them at the awards ceremony). Change the water frequently in any container holding fish and the use of an aerator can help greatly. It's really not that hard to keep them alive.

Yes, after weigh-in all anglers are allowed to keep their fish, or they can be given to me and I will gladly bring them home to fillet up!! :)

18 lb pike and you say that was brought in alive?

For the Winter Classic they just need to be fresh, not alive. You're confusing the two events. For this IPA event, if a major fish is caught, I am suggesting the angler call me direct (all teams will have my cell number) and I can meet them at the launch to weigh it in for the Winter Classic and record it for the IPA. But we are not going to do that for every fish caught, only larger fish: pike over 10 lbs and walleye over 8lbs.

Looking forward to the event. The whole keeping fish alive all day thing is kinda silly but I'm sure people will do their best.

Looking forward to an updated ice report. Safe for machines?

Edited by FleetTracker

We are good to go for machines. Greg reported 6" of black ice over 30 fow tonight. However, we are urging anglers to exercise extreme caution if venturing to deep water (over 20 ft) especially with ATV's. Check ice often and when going out from the shotgun, use navigational equipment or follow those who do.

I am very happy to add that we will have 3 fire departments at the ready as they practice ice rescue, along with an airboat to add to our safety net should anyone get into trouble during the event.

I realize requiring the fish to be alive may seem out of the ordinary, however it was highly suggested by tournament anglers and directors alike to maintain confidence in angler integrity. We don't have an issue with cheating as we set our standards high and do our best to run a tight ship. If we find it isn't necessary (and with angler feedback support) we can adjust future events.

Edited by Finders Keepers

Quick run-down of the Chaumont Bay Team-Only event Saturday: (34 Teams)
1st Place: E.T. with 82.48 pts. ($1380)
2nd Place: Au Grabbers with 68.85 pts. ($800)
3rd Place: Reel Time with 66.84 pts ($340)

Lunker Pool:
1st Place: E.T. with a 13.63 lb Walleye ($230)
2nd Place: Gaff Lunkage with a 13.12 lb Walleye ($138)
3rd Place: Warren Bidwell with a 12.85 lb Pike ($92)

Edited by Finders Keepers

Online registration is now open for the 2-day Chaumont Bay Full IPA Event on Jan. 31st and Feb. 1st, along with the walleye dinner banquet on the 31st at 6pm.

http://www.nysiceproam.com/FullIPARegistration-b.html

Registration is required for the dinner and will be available until the 26th. After which anglers can still attend, but will have to order off of their general menu.

Quick run-down of the Chaumont Bay Team-Only event Saturday: (34 Teams)

1st Place: E.T. with 82.48 pts. ($1380)

2nd Place: Au Grabbers with 68.85 pts. ($800)

3rd Place: Reel Time with 66.84 pts ($340)

Lunker Pool:

1st Place: E.T. with a 13.63 lb Walleye ($230)

2nd Place: Gaff Lunkage with a 13.12 lb Walleye ($138)

3rd Place: Warren Bidwell with a 12.85 lb Pike ($92)

Are these cash totals or product totals?

The big Chaumont Full IPA event is this coming weekend!! With a hot currently going on there, lots of ice, and many anglers planning on attending, it's looking like this could be the largest event of the year for the Series!! With over $20,000 in prizes to offload, 3 tourneys going at the same time, and good weather in the forecast, it's going to be a banner weekend at Chaumont!!

We've had some questions about the event this coming weekend on Chaumont Bay:

1) Boundaries: the whole bay will be fair game. Just be cautious of known weak ice spots where currents exist, or if any pressure cracks/ridges develop. Anglers may only fish Chaumont Bay.

2) Open anglers cannot venture onto the ice until 6am. With the team event shotgun start at 5am, for safety reasons we hold the Open anglers off the ice until 6am.

3) Unless prior arrangements are made with me, all teams must be represented at the mandatory Captains meeting Friday evening from 7-8pm.

4) We will be having a seminar/demo session from 5-7pm on Friday at the 3-Mile Bay Fire Hall with at least 8 companies being represented (list to be announced soon). Anyone can attend - this is not part of the captains meeting, nor is it only for Pro-Am teams.

Captains meeting will be held at the 3-Mile Bay Fire Hall. Our headquarters, check-in, registration, and awards ceremony will all be housed there as well. Make sure if register online or at Chaumont Hardware that you stop in to the fire hall to check-in (fill-out your liability form and acquire your weigh-in sheets) either Friday or Sat morning before the event starts. No anglers will be able to weigh-in fish without their weigh-in forms!

3 big events on the same waterway this weekend at Chaumont Bay!! Over $25,000 in cash and prizes will be awarded between the NYS Ice Pro-Am event and the local Lyme Fire Hall Tournament!! This is going to be a great weekend of ice fishing!! Register online for the Pro-Am event at: www.NYSiceproam.com

• 2 weeks later...