cheaters and derbys

A few years ago I served on the board of directors (for 3 years) as one of the FLTA reps on the board to the National Lake Trout Derby (Memorial Day).

I put some effort into trying to change the start time to 5:00 AM, however I was blocked by the non fisherman who oversees the "day to day" operations of the derby. It was decided that the start time would remain at 6:00AM and that one of the polygraph questions would be in regard to fishing before 6AM. It was also decided that fishing before 6AM on day one was grounds for immediate disqualification.

Bigfoot that was a question asked during the polygraph. Like I said before, we launched at 530, ran to our spot and started fishing at 6. It's too bad the start time isn't 5 but what ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Agreed Les, nothing but congrats to LT. What an awesome fish with an awesome story that went with it. We all wished it was going to be one of us before it started. And it was! Time to move onto another topic. There's more upcoming events and great fishing we need to focus on.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Poke pole always starts crap on here... He's that guy that gets happiness out of TRYING make others miserable just like him... He always has some negative things to say about everything. Far as im concerned these guys won the Derby fair and square and passed the polygraph nothing else needs to be said... Keep sucking on your sour grapes pokepole aka (Pot stirrer)

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I won a position last year by myself.. Was I in the wrong for fishing alone? No body to testify a clean catch? Maybe I wasn't alone? Ahhh, maybe a higher power was with me? Who knows, but one things for sure, every camper and boater heard me.. :blink::blink::D;)

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Is there really a lie-detector test at a fishing derby??

I've only entered a couple in my lifetime, but has it really got to the point that machine is required to keep it on the up and up??

If it's that bad, I guess I've not missed much.........

Mike form the iron duke and I both had what I would say to be a bitter sweet moment with the honor of weighing that fish in for those guys we were working the scales in Watkins when they brought it to the scales! Jon could not stop shaking or control the emotion as you can't fake that we all know the feeling of what it is like to bring a beast of a fish or a monster box in and top the boards! Not to mention the dam thing was still kickin it bit me as I measured it hahaha! Awesome job way to go guys!!

Even the red cross derby had poly graph testing..

One year we (our team) caught the winning fish. The poor kid was so excited and nervous he had to retake it five times in a room with over a hundred people.. People have been caught bringing fish from other lakes, or catches from prior days..

Its unfortunate people will cheat and steal from fellow guys as ourselves.. Everyone on here (LOU) has each others backs.

Nick

Just like redeye i spend a lot of time on the water with these two and know first hand that they do it right. Get your facts straight before you point fingers pokepole and take the drama elsewhere. John was so excited he called me as soon as that fish hit the deck, he was screaming but not actually saying any words lol Congrats again on a fish of a lifetime boys!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am the director for the NYS Ice Pro-Am tourneys and would like to know (if anyone knows) who did the polygraph testing? When I tried to set that up I was told that there were only a few people in NYS that could perform one and I couldn't schedule it for a particular day (tourney day). I'd really like to know if there is an agency that can schedule one on a specific tourney day! Thanks!

These sort of allegations are not limited to the big money trout derbies. This year some were accused of cheating in the Seneca lake perch derby. I personally know and often fish with the accused. These anglers eat, sleep, drink, Walk and breathe jumbo perch 24/7. There are some of us that work our ass's off to compete at the highest level and others that just show up on the water occasionally. Hard work and time on the water seems to always pay off. It is a shame the congratulations some receive are just accusations of cheating....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

PS. I also talked to the said DEC officers on this particular situation. Sounds as though you have twisted his words. Let me guess, in what way were they fishing too?

It seems to me that  accusations such as this should be brought up at the time of alleged offense not three weeks after the fact. My opinion is its someone with way too much free time on their hands and little grey matter between the ears.

cheating in my opinion would involve catching the fish before the derby and holding it, going to another lake catching the fish or loading the fish up with weight not sharing the fight.  That was a beauty of a brown, wish it had swam my way ;)  congrats to both of you

Fish Hunter -It is unfortunate indeed that a polygraph is viewed to be necessary but in the past it is alleged that in an early Seneca Lake derby someone entered a potentially winning fish that was actually from Lake Ontario and when they examined the stomach contents etc. they were still frozen. The DEC guy at the weigh in detected that it wasn't a Seneca fish. Unfortunately when money is involved some folks will do anything and fortunately they are a very small minority.

Edited by Sk8man

They would say salmon!!! I watched a brown get weighed as a both and a salmon as a brown.. Happens every year.. Lol

On the first day of the derby the scales in Watkins are run by the FLTA and they are very educated fisherman who know there species of fish ... On the other days of the derby I cant vouch for them but do know on those days there should be someone there with a little more knowledge but remember guys its hard to find people to run the scales on any day so be appreciative we even have those people because without them we wouldn't be having these tournaments. ...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I known that mike. I was stating the obvious. Guys see it all the time even the seasoned anglers have trouble identifying species..