Spoons vs. Spin doctors/Flies

Making my second trip to the big lake in july.  Last year I fished on a buddies boat and we did most of our damage on spin doctors/flies trolled around 2.0-2.2 down speed. I think the spoons wouldnt fire due to the slower speeds. Now that I am a few weeks away from my trip, trying to put together a game plan.

How do you guys decide if you are runnings spoons, or running SD/Flies?  Do you just put out a mix of everything and then dial them in based on what fires?  What would a good down speed be for a program that is a mix of both?

When I lake trout fish on Erie we end up running either all spoons or all flashers once all the rods are dialed in, very seldom do we get both firing all day.

Yup 2.5 for me too.  Generally I set my gps speed to 2.5 and once I deploy everything to where it needs to be I end up with a slower down speed from all the water resistance.

I always run a mix and see what fires. Down speed will all depend what you are using to measure it. For depth raider my best 2.1-2.3, I know the sub-troll guys like 2.4 and most fish hawk folks say 2.6. Start with one and if no action increase or decrease to see what fires. When you get a hit just repeat repeat repeat. Depth/lure and speed

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by bout time

I have been running a mix of spoons on the diggers f2f on dispy my spoons have fired a lot more than ff. I have been running down speed at 3.0 on my fish hawk and have been catching a lot

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the Insight. I think I am going to start with a ff on one rigger and a spoon a little further back on the other and see what happens. I have a fishhawk so I will try 2.5ish on my down. My trip can't come soon enough! Dreamin of those drags screaming :)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app