Seems that Walleye are getting a lot of attention these days

Patriot

The Salmon craze is nearly over for me (fished for them since 1992) and I've switched over to more Walleye fishing than Salmon. Don't get me wrong, Salmon fishing is still fun and all but it just seems that more & more people are Walleye fishing these days.

And to tell the truth, I love it! And I eat a few also, unlike the salmon, I might smoke one or two each year

While salmon and trout are FAR better sportfish, many anglers myself included prefer the challenge and taste of walleye! Big walleyes in less than 5 fow hitting floaters on the surface on light tackle is quite addicting too!

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The big challenge with eyes is locating them and staying on them. In spring easy pickings usually with about all presentations working. The challenge for us comes from staying on the nomadic groups. Nothing beats coming in with a 3, 4 or 5 man limit of 10 plus pounders. Walleye its the other white meat. Lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

BINGO! I Love the change in tactics as the season progresses and the challenge of being consistent. There isnt any technique, in finger lakes anyways, that works consistently! Its a good thing the top water night bite ends...cant go without sleep for ever!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

a salmon wiil hit a spoon 20 ft down and 30 ft from the down rigger ball. Humm try that for walleye and u will wear the paint off the lure before it gets touched. Try 200 ft then the board and another 150 ft  now ur talkin

Fun to get the big girls in 1-3 fow 5 feet from the boat at night on light tackle too! All summer its long lines and boards, and we do get an occasional rigger eye 80 to 100 back. BTW we still troll the paint off sometimes! Lol

I agree. Chartered for salmon/trout for over 20 yrs and got totally burnt out. Walleye fishing has revived me. Much more challenging for me and you can eat them! 

Agree 100% on that. And yes, the only white meat. Only thing, I like to eat them right away, rather than put them in the freezer. Last season, I forgot about a few, what a waste

BINGO! I Love the change in tactics as the season progresses and the challenge of being consistent. There isnt any technique, in finger lakes anyways, that works consistently! Its a good thing the top water night bite ends...cant go without sleep for ever!

Think I need to try the top water thing. Sounds interesting at least

Chas they would be extinct if they fought like a sportfish AND tasted amazing! Lol.

Patriot

Any lake with alewives has a surface bite...you just have to find it...bomber long a in blue prism is the best stick I know of...my son got 1 on a walk the dog bait in Tennessee shad last night!

Yea trust me half my tackle has no paint lol. That's part of the learning curve for those marble eyes, especialy wen you learn it on your own (prior to lou). And of course on those lock jaw days. Also to me it seems that the younger generation of fisherman tend to share a little more info. wen I first started you would ask some one at the dock how they did on the walleyes and theyd say whats a walleye. Just me observations, and obvious not all are like that.

Edited by bettieanne

Must have been a fluke by I landed 21 walleyes on my first 7 trips on Otisco last August on a spoon rigged on a 12 foot cheater, three feet above the ball.  Even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes I guess, but from my limited experience, the suspended walleyes don't seem to be ball shy whatsoever.  Catch them on Oneida all the time even closer to the ball.

How about crappie? That is a white meat and is better eating then walleye

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I gotta agree with this...  Walleye come in third on my list of freshwater white meat

Here's my list in order of (my) preference.All in the top 10 are very good if prepared right, but if it falls under number 11, not gonna end up on the table:

1) Crappie

2) Perch

3) Walleye

4) Sunfish/Bluegill

5) Smelt

6) Catfish

7) Bullhead

8 ) Trout

9) Salmon

10) Black bass (LM/SM)

11) everything else.

Edited by jonboat

Yea trust me half my tackle has no paint lol. That's part of the learning curve for those marble eyes, especialy wen you learn it on your own (prior to lou). And of course on those lock jaw days. Also to me it seems that the younger generation of fisherman tend to share a little more info. wen I first started you would ask some one at the dock how they did on the walleyes and theyd say whats a walleye. Just me observations, and obvious not all are like that.

A buddy of mine is like that, I ask where he is catching them and he replies "In the water".  His friends and family have all been really tight lipped over the years about where and the techniques they use.  I don't mind giving someone information long as the person doesn't blab it around to everyone and their brother.  

This year I was on the fish limiting out everyday when it seemed like everyone was doing okay but not as good as me. So I told my buddy that is tight lipped to me about where I was catching fish 1 weekend and the following weekend there had to of been 13 plus boats when I and my father-in-law were the only boats in the area.

That was probably the last time I share the exact specifics of my spot.

I gotta agree with this...  Walleye come in third on my list of freshwater white meat

Here's my list in order of (my) preference.All in the top 10 are very good if prepared right, but if it falls under number 11, not gonna end up on the table:

1) Crappie

2) Perch

3) Walleye

4) Sunfish/Bluegill

5) Smelt

6) Catfish

7) Bullhead

8 ) Trout

9) Salmon

10) Black bass (LM/SM)

11) everything else.

The key to really good walleye fillets is removing that brownish colored meat close to the skin.  I never used to do it but I am a firm believer with my taste buds as my proof that it is much more flavorful.  I do agree that crappie is better (sweeter) but I prefer walleye over everything else.
Edited by Chas0218

I trim my fillets also and completely remove the lateral line. Crappie get the nod but I can fill a freezer with a lot less filleting and big thick fillets have more options when cooking.

Jeff,

You are no blind squirrel! Like me you didnt know what you "cant" do when walleye fishing...as a result our techniques are unconventional. You hide the ball below the fish...I use divers and hide it in the algae bloom 15 feet over the eyes. No wrong way when you have the fish in the box everytime out! I still think deep divers produce bigger fish, but ill be using your spoon program on my probe rigger!

Bleeding out walleye makes quite a bit of difference as well, the meat is a completely different color, I bleed em stick them cooler with plenty of ice filet then put them on a cookie sheet with paper towels in the fridge to dry for a bit vacuum pack and they last a year no prob. And ditto cut the brown out!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think if you are going to make preferences between species you should also factor in the body of water and forage. I remove the lateral fat line on everything.  I think it makes a huge difference and I always try to bleed out the bigger fish.