115 hp mercury 4 stroke

RD9

Well I have dual 115hpercury on my boat 2007's one motor has water in the oil. The other drops RPM when at higher speeds. The one with water in the oil is running good. I did have one bad battery which we just replaced and rechecked all connections. Just noticed the water in the oil today figured I would replace both fuel filters and that's when I checked the oil.

Will call marina tommorrow, but opinions / advice would be appreciated.

i have a 2004 4 stroke and had water too ,thought i was screwed ,,,after talking to 2 pros they said 4 strokes will condensate a lot ,,,changed oil and been great for the last 1000 miles,,,,,,as fer the other ....check the obvious ,linkage ,fuel,spark plugs (1 foweld)??

I assume you mean the crank case. If you Google "outboard making oil" you will find a lot about the topic Ray is referring to. I had a 25HP Honda that did this to me a lot. It was only a sizeable problem in the spring when the water was too cold for the crank case to get hot enough to vaporize the moisture. Especially if you are just trolling. It makes a mess of the oil in pretty short order. I tired to reduce the problem by running it full throttle for a while before heading back to the dock in hopes of heating the oil. This helped some. Since there was no real fix for my motor, I resorted to more frequent oil changes. Once the water got warmer, the problem would nearly go away for me.

You may also notice a strong odor of gas in your oil when this happens. The gas vapors are not buring off either.

Good luck.

Tom

Yea there is a milky oil mixture when I pull the dipstick. I just read the article you refered me too and it seems the EFI 4 strokes this is very common with especially when trolled at low speeds which I do hour after hour. That was a good read I love this site, I might be able to sleep. Dealer is going to look at it tommorrow. The worst fear crosses your mine when water is in the oil. Thanks guys.

Well it ended up being a thermosta was stuck open. Therefore the engined ran under temp probably since April. Which was mentioned in the article "making oil".

Thanks Again Guys.

I have the same issue and taking to dealer tomorrow. 2011 merc 4 stroke 115hp. Oil smells of gas... I troll quite a bit with it but I also change the oil myself 2x a season and just noticed this now. Good thing since i only have a month left of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United