Cable for forward/rev. keeps popping out

longbow

I have a 225 Opti on my boat a 24.5' Pro LIne.  The forward and rev. cable keeps popping out of the little pawl.  There are a top and bottom cable link that hold the shifter cable.  No matter how tight I tighten the lock nut it just eventually pulls out.  Very gritty to shift it back and forth.  Now I've tried the cables themselves and they work fine when tugging on them by hand.  DId the lubrication thing too.  Matter of fact over the weekend I took the whole thing apart down to the springs for the ball detent and the like, cleaned everything, re-lubed but still it seems to want to pull out of the pin that goes through the cable end.  Seems like I can take the thing apart in my sleep now.  The cables move nice and free so I know it isn't a kinked cable.  I pinched the two ends together before leaving last night and had forward and reverse but didn't thoroughly test it.  Any help is appreciated.  It is a top shifting unit by Mercury with power trim/tilt for the engine.  thanks

PS  hence my need for a dockside service mechanic

If it were me and I was down the road from Hank at L&M that is where I'd be headed based on everything friends have told me and what I've seen on here. The folks at Arney's have always been pretty good to deal with too.

Hey beats me but I have called about half doz. dealers/mechanics etc etc.  No one it seems that I have called will work on outboards, especially Mercury outboards.  I will call Bryce Marine today to see about those folks.  Arnie's was a no go, Shumway, Krenzers, L& M Marine, Dennis Simmons, etc.etc.  Matter of fact I'll call Mercury in Fon du Lac at some point today too.  I have a part number of a unit that is very similar maybe just shorter cables.  I ain't called Fowlers yet though.  Hard to believe this is such a hard fix.  I have also come up with what might be a fix for it too.  Heading out there this p.m. to Hughes and check on it.  thanks

I don't recall a phn call or message from you at all. If I had I would of recommended you call Barrett's for any known shift problems with that particular engine and gone from there.

L&M Marina in Wolcott correct?  That is who I called.  Hopefully that's the right one.  I called as I've called more than a few.  So there ya go.  

Hank's right and I should have thought of that too Fran Barrett at Barrett Marine between Geneva and Waterloo is the best around for Mercs and Optimax in particular and he has the largest selection of Merc parts in this whole area right there on hand.  I know is a bit of a drive but if you want to make sure it is done right take it there. He is honest as the day is long and very fair. Here is his number etc.:

Barrett Marine
485 West River Road
Waterloo, New York 13165
315-789-6605 or 1-800-924-8940
Fax: 315-781-2401
E-mail: [email protected]

Edited by Sk8man

Did you do a search for a schematic drawing of the unit to make sure you're not missing a part.  Locknuts are great but they do loosen without a little washer under them.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Actually this chick I work with, her husband is a marine mechanic so maybe I can get some help there.  Yep went to Barretts last year to get oil from them cause they are the only one's that have it.  The other problem is that I can't tow my boat cause I have no truck yet.  Store it at Hughes and Norm just hooks it up in the barn and drops it in for me.  The work around I am going to do tonight after dinner is zip tie it.  Mercury in Fon du Lac said it might work for a good bit.  We'll see.  Simple problem but a difficult resolution.  There is a unit in good working order on ebay that is identical looking to the one I have so might just spring for it.  It's driving me nuts though I'll say that.  thanks