Can't believe it.

I was out this past weekend trying to get into the Walleye as the Salmon won't heat up until Mid July on the East end, and this guy ran his boat plowing water about 10' from my outside planer board.  At first I figured he didn't see it but was looking right at it and pointing at it.  I have no clue what he was doing but he lost me a $7 lure and about $15 worth of braid.  I can't believe some of these people.  I also had 2 Jet skis almost run over my rear 2 boards.

Why can't people give each other some room I mean it's a big bay and no need to be right on other boats.

The worst was this one guy about 200' behind my boat, His kids wanted to play in the water coming off keel.  I was like okay it was for his kids whatever I will give him the benefit of the doubt but once he almost ran my boards over and his kids (maybe 6 or 7) without life jackets leaning over the side of the boat (while on plane), feet dangling in the air. He was just asking for trouble. 

Funny thing though on Saturday Coast Guard and DEC were out, they pulled up out in front of us in 6'-7' rollers and asked for 3 life jackets and fishing licenses.  I just got checked last weekend but I didn't care I was completely legal.

Funny thing was actually the one C.O. that checked me the previous weekend walks out the back of the pilot house and yells "Got your autopilot engaged?" I yell over yup and I hear him chuckling behind the other guy. I didn't have to show my license the other guys on the boat did.

Most of the pleasure boaters have no concept of what you were doing or what a planer board is or does. 

They should make that part of the boating safety course.  "If you see these guys they're trying to fish, give them some common courtesy and stay a little ways away."

Yeah I lost a $8 rapala last summer on my inline board. Young kid driving the boat, father distracted.mkid ran right up to it. Think he was curious. Unfortunately whipped out my line

Seems this has been more the norm this year more so than any other.  There has not been a day I been out that I wasnt chopped at some point and usually many times.  The worse case was early spring jigging for walleye of a marked shoal.  I was 10 feet off one pin marker and another fisherman on full plane decided he needed to fit between me and the pin.  They started yelling that I have the whole &%#$*(!@ lake and I have to be 10 feet away from a marker.  Unreal yeah there is a whole lake and there was no possible way with miles and miles of open water behind me they couldnt go around.   Past weekend Trolling eyes I got chopped off 2 times by other fisherman who know what inline planer boards are cause they started running them after the chopped me off.  On the same trip Drifting from 21 feet of water where the wind was pushing baitfish towards an island, as we were casting jigs another fisherman decided to run withing 15 feet of where we were pitching jigs into the drift, he then made a short U turn and started drifting the same line we were.  Couldnt have gone behind us he just had to cut us off.  I find its more other fisherman who lack a great deal of etiquette rather than recreation boaters.  There has been way more recreational boaters make a wide swath around me and slow down and wave to us. 

Good point Steelman.  When issues happen, I think recreational boaters are more ignorant and less malicious and that the fisherman are more malicious and less ignorant.  Although I can be ignorant sometimes - I screw up unintentionally and some times I don't think I did anything wrong when I get yelled at but I still apologize and say "sorry for being an idiot" and I move on.  On the water to relax - not argue.

Nobody Know's the Woes of Foes = don't be so quick to judge.  you do not know what the other guy has going on and what his intentions are. 

To the original post - You could keep a casting rod handy with a 3oz pyramid sinker.  That might get you some space just try not to hit them in the head. :)  It is a big lake.  Even the bays are pretty big.  Courtesy space.  Good luck - long summer.

Joe

To the original post - You could keep a casting rod handy with a 3oz pyramid sinker.  That might get you some space just try not to hit them in the head. :)  It is a big lake.  Even the bays are pretty big.  Courtesy space.  Good luck - long summer.

Joe

Funny you mention that...I was thinking the same thing.

As my wife and I were trolling a medium sized lake this past weekend, she was saying "Ah, that's why I love fishing, we're living in the moment when we're fishing and without a care in the world". The next minute she's pi$$ing and moaning about the damn boat getting too close to our boards. They think nothing about driving 20 feet away from the boards. Appearently, they don't know what they are

I can live with the boaters...its fisherman that know better that need the talking to! Spotlights when walleye fishing shallows is my pet peeve....if a boat wants to quietly sneak in the spot im fishing i could care less, i share info and my spots, but most guys around here come in with their big motors and spotlights and the bite shuts off for an hour then after 50 minutes they get bored and fire up and spook everything again. It doesnt shut the bass down bad but walleyes is another matter! I all ever hear is this lake isnt any good anymore...REALLY....

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

so i may need correcting on this but the boat being overtaken always has the right of way so when the wind prick is behind you and moving faster than you they do not have the right of way this I belive also applies to the genny where I often have larger boats up my A as im heading out to the lake most get it some dont and just about run me over I shouldnt be able to touch the boat passing me with my net especially when i'm in a 14 footer and there in a 30 plus anything than they toast you with a beer and wonder why your yelling

i lost an entire 5 leader complete with sutton spoons and wire on seneca to a blowboat a few years back. we saw him overtaking us and did our best to get closer to shore to give him room (right in front of the salt plant in watkins).

he never saw us. we never saw him as he was hidden in his boat somewhere, he definitely wasn't paying attention to where he was going.

he passwed between us and the rocks and we were casting distance from shore. his keel caught my monel and the old penn 49 started screaming. nothing i could do, he spooled me.

give the rag boats a good close drive by on the way in and wave to them :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I do just that.  I had a "rag boat" (love this term) this past weekend almost run my in-line over, it bounced off his hull I heard the thud.  He was just staring at it. Idiots!

I was on chautuaqua 2 years ago and about 50 little sailboats come pouring across the lake right in front of me...all little kids! I barely got my gear in before i was into them. Scary for me...they hadnt a care in the world. Same thing happened with boy scouts in canoes on cayuga....someday im gonna clothesline me a skier on otisco...they come real close to my boards! They have the whole lake and they come to show off...oh well nothing we can do except vent here! Lol

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From what I was told when I took the boater safety course to fish the ocean in Nj is that when u are trolling and have ur spread out u are no longer in complete control and you now have the right of way not the rag boat the only reason I asked him was I almost lost a finger trying to hand line in my otter board when it got run over by one of those wind assisted A-holes off the genny

unfortunately, our kind of fishing doesn't give us the right of way:

from the USCG Rules of the Road, annex:

(d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability.

unfortunately, our kind of fishing doesn't give us the right of way:

from the USCG Rules of the Road, annex:

(d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability.

How is maneuverability not restricted going 2mph?