Issue with Kicker Motor - Fuel Starving/Stalling

eyesncoke

Hi All, have read a few similar posts regarding this issue but still looking for advice. I run a 9.9 Yamaha kicker with a 200 outboard. Kicker fuel line comes off the seperator with a inline primer bulb. The problem I am having and have had the past few years is that after a few hours of trolling, the kicker starves for gas and if I don't reprime the bulb will stall. Seems worse when the weather is warmer. When I go to prime the bulb, it is pretty soft. It will run for a while (1/2 hour to hour or so) and then repeats.

This season I put in brand new seperator filter, new 5/16" fuel line, new primer bulb, and new fuel filter in the engine itself. What would be left? Fuel pump. Well if I run the kicker off the portable tank, it always seems to run fine. I know some guys say this is good to do anyways, but I only have a 22' and space is tight as it is, so would rather just run off the main tank so I don't have one more thing to trip over.

The only thing I can think of is that the engine just doesn't have enough vacuum to draw through the seperator and the line, but this seems odd as I know other guys use the same setup with no issues.

It is a cheaper seperator, not sure if this matters. The only valves would be those in the bulb. The fitting on the seperator is not a check valve.

I'm so frustrated at this point, I'm almost ready to tee off the main tank, with one line direct to the kicker and another to the seperator which I would only port out to the main engine. But then of course I lose the filtering of the seperator which I'm not crazy about.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a leak is letting air into the system. I have had some similar problems multiple times with motors that have cracked or loose fuel lines in the motor. Particularily, the short hoses that run from the connector to the fuel filter and from the fuel filter to the fuel pump. I think they tend to get brittle from the heat of the power head. The smaller diameter ones on the carb don't seem to have the same issue.

Another place to look is at your connections. If the fule line has a fitting with an O-ring. It might be sucking air if it is dmaged or has a gap. The Hondas seem to have a strong pull on the fuel and overcome this, but I have had other motors like Mercury's that have the same problem you describe. Check every possbile fule path for leaks is wear I would start. Don't forget the bulb too. Sometimes just bending the hose at the fitting a little bit will expose a crack that is not easily seen.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Tom

Do you have a shutoff valve for each motor? Ihad a problem with my kicker doin the same thing. i realized the kicker was ikely losing pressure because of the air leaking in from the carbs on the big motor. Putting in a 3 way shutoff switch has since solved the problem

I had the same exact issue you are experiencing with my Mercury 9.9 4 stroke which was hooked into my main fuel tank.  I first replaced all the hoses and the primer bulb and the fuel filter it helped a little but it still happened every few hours.  The next thing i did was replace the fuel pump and that alleviated the issue.  What i think happened on my 2000 kicker motor the fuels filter diaphragm was compromised by the alcohol in the fuel and that where i think i was losing prime.  Since i replaced with a new fuel pump that is compatible with ethanol gasoling i have not had the issue since.

Thanks guys, I'll probably start by putting in a shutoff on the main. I wouldn't have thought it was a problem with the lines in the engine since it runs fine off the portable. I did actually check the bulb on the main yesterday when I had the issue and there was no fuel in it or the line whatsoever which leads me to believe the kicker is drawing that out and then maybe getting air from the main once it's dry?

ERABBIT - I wish the motor was newer....actually a 2003.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with mine (9.9 Yamaha). I had the motor for a couple of years when this started and i found that the problem was the fuel connector (the one that you pinch the lever to hook up to the engine). After a few years of turning right and left (mine was attached to the outdrive of my I/O) the tube that goes in the fuel line (attached with a collar) was starting to weaken and was cracked just enough to suck up some air. I replaced the fitting and problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Its simple you are drawing air through the carb on your main motor..Run your main fuel line to a 3 position fuel switch. Then you run 2 lines off of your switch one to main and the other to your kicker. You simply turn the switch to the motor you want to run and will have no problems.

You will still need the primer bulb to build up pressure before you start your kicker but your 9.9 will draw fuel fine after that. I should mention I have the similar set up I run a merc 9.9 off my main tank and have no problems after installing switch. Mine is a brass marine switch think I paid $50 for it.