Owasco walleye

Thats a walleye Les...not a trout...they are caught magically by a secret society in the middle of the night! Figured they'd be popping over there soon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Oh sure now ya tell me after I outfitted the new boat for multi stuff ..... :lol:

Caught it just south of Burtis point on the lakes east side running small crankbaits trying to imitate the alewives. A slow steady retrieve with a snapping action every few minutes or so seemed to do it for me. Caught 3 northerns as well.... Walleye are few and far between in this lake but all the ones in there seem to be slobs post-154277-14030107236296_thumb.jpgpost-154277-14030107581576_thumb.jpgpost-154277-14030108244325_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Honestly guys, some of the biggest walleyes I've taken from this lake were suspended over deep water and I caught them while targeting lake trout and rainbows. Hey.... The walleye like to feed on the alewives too! Also had some great catches at night as well

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

They suspend over deep water at otisco too....get em everyday all summer...same stocked alewife fed fish as owasco. Average fish is bigger on Owasco, but thats just a function of no recent stockings. Find the 60 degree water and troll....

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

club used to stock until 2007. state shut them down and even with multiple letters of support with many sigs, the state said no deal. the guy who was head of the stocking with owasco lake anglers assoc. keeps trying to convince the state, but the state has its mind set on the continuation of lake trout stocking and the potential of rainbow and brown stocking over walleye.

for those of you who got the survey in the mail, which was randomized to lake residents and diary operators( who are mostly all trout folk anyway)  saw that laketrout were automatic, BUT you had to choose between brown/rainbow, OR Walleye but not all. Not even room for comment.

Never have I seen such a one sided survey in my life!

But hey, I love all fish and will make due, Im a night guy, and know how to catch em. these eyes will last for a few more years, and cant wait until someone hammers a monster in the 12-14 pound range. It may be just the attention we need to get some eye support back here.

As I always say, Walleye might not of helped the issue in terms of another predator introduced to the system years ago, but they were NOT the sole cause of the rainbow and brown decline in this lake.

my 2 cents as always

kevin

Couldnt agree more Kevin! You and I have talked about this many a night, and its simple. The trout fishermen, to their credit, are organized, educated, and active in the fishery. Walleye guys are a secretive bunch. We dont organize, no tournaments, no charity events, no participation in the diaries. In short we have no voice. On Otisco we are starting to have a voice....the fish are stocked for the masses....and until walleye anglers educate themselves and organize we will not control the future success or failure of the fisheries we love!

The survey was selected by random, this diary cooperator was NOT ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE. Thank you DEC!

Results of the survey were just over 60% for rainbows/browns and just under 40% for walleye.

For what it's worth, the lake is recovering. Last time there our club brought twolakers over 10 lbs to the scales, as well as some rainbows and browns.

In the early days I supported the efforts to introduce the walleyes, but at this point I am glad to see them go.

IMO walleyes are great eating, but those that feed on sawbellies taste like crap.

IMO walleyes are great eating, but those that feed on sawbellies taste like crap.

Hear it a lot.  I prefer the river walleyes myself (exclude lower Genny).  I would like to catch a few of those lake giants for possible trophy.  Those fish are impressive.

I hear it from quite a few guys too, but anyone ive given filets to has begged for more. We all have different tastes and i throw back eyes from the river in favor of alewife fed eyes. I love the thicker bigger filets. Of course i wouldnt eat an egg on a bet...the smell will make me skip breakfast so understand preferences!