Big boards for trolling

I am getting the Traxstech double reel mast for the bow of my boat as I have had it with trying to get the TX-44 boards in with a fish on.... mostly while running copper and and 10 cores of lead but my question is options for boards,. I have heard the Rivieras are terrible and the Aurora Lites are more than I can spend right now. Have seen random plans on Google to make your own, just curious of any others out there as I cannot find any for sale.

I've used homemade boards on an 18 ft Starcraft aluminum (Big Jon bow mast) and a 21 ft Starcraft fiberglass (side reels) and they've both worked fine.  The best set-up I've seen used is Otter boards run off six-foot side masts - they pull HARD and the extra height really helps the releases slide out. 

I have the Amish boards and they are nice. Fold up so don't take much room when stored.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have home mades and they pull pretty well but they do not fold up and they can be pretty tough on the mast when its rough.  I inherited them from the 80s so they are very durable though

Thanks for all the replies. It's looking like I am going to go with the Amish outfitter boards, from a price standpoint and the overall reviews it just fits the bill. I am going to mount some flags on the boards to make them a bit more visible on the water and thanks again for the help

Otter boats with dual keels will out perform any other board out there.  They do not flip, pull hard and track awesome.   Adding a dual keel and using a tape measure to make sure the rope lengths are correct is not rocket science. 

Edited by GAMBLER

I run the homemade boards and they pull a lot harder than any otter board with about 1/4 the price tag. I also made mine from 1"x10"x8' pine board from homedepot and all other stainless hardware from tractor supply.  I didn't think the all thread (threaded rod) would hold up and not rust but seems to be doing great for the last 4 years.

I painted mine with orange exterior paint then used polyurethane over top of the orange.

Here is a photo of mine running. I added 1 strip of decoy lead on both of the outside boards with a couple stainless screws.  I also run them with the point in the water versus in the air. These boards are maybe 10' or 20'  behind the boat.  I also attached a picture of the boards with about 120' of tow line out. I can also run about 5 lines per a side when trolling for walleye and spring browns.

Planerboards_zps55539d1a.jpg

20140503_181442_zps3f9g50u7.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

I am getting the Traxstech double reel mast for the bow of my boat as I have had it with trying to get the TX-44 boards in with a fish on.... mostly while running copper and and 10 cores of lead but my question is options for boards,. I have heard the Rivieras are terrible and the Aurora Lites are more than I can spend right now. Have seen random plans on Google to make your own, just curious of any others out there as I cannot find any for sale.

My 2 cents. Get them from tony at great lakes planers. He is right here in new York. Great guy

My 2 cents. Get them from tony at great lakes planers. He is right here in new York. Great guy

I love his stuff.  My trees pictured above are from him, I backed them with that synthetic decking and large stainless fender washers. I can almost hang off them they are so sturdy (boat gunwale gives but the trees do not). I have no worries of my buddies grabbing them when we are getting bounced around the deck.  They are top notch!

Edited by Chas0218

Otter boats with dual keels will out perform any other board out there.  They do not flip, pull hard and track awesome.   Adding a dual keel and using a tape measure to make sure the rope lengths are correct is not rocket science. 

+1,000,000

disclaimer - no financial ties to Big Jon

I run the homemade boards and they pull a lot harder than any otter board with about 1/4 the price tag. I also made mine from 1"x10"x8' pine board from homedepot and all other stainless hardware from tractor supply.  I didn't think the all thread (threaded rod) would hold up and not rust but seems to be doing great for the last 4 years.

I painted mine with orange exterior paint then used polyurethane over top of the orange.

Here is a photo of mine running. I added 1 strip of decoy lead on both of the outside boards with a couple stainless screws.  I also run them with the point in the water versus in the air. These boards are maybe 10' or 20'  behind the boat.  I also attached a picture of the boards with about 120' of tow line out. I can also run about 5 lines per a side when trolling for walleye and spring browns.

Sounds like the same ones I have and they are going on 30 years old with no rust I think they were made from cedear though.  I've never seen them filp and i've run 3 lines off a side even with two cores and a short copper.  I have also run a 300 copper and a 6 color off the same side and they seem to performe consistantly the only Issue i have is sometimes when running at laker speeds under 1.9 on seneca the inside board on a turn has some issues but a touch of speed through the turn brings it right up.  i would like to try otters because i would think they would skip the waves better with less bounce on the mast but they are way out of my budget.

My mast has springs on the pulleys and that seems like it keeps the boards from jumping.  Mine don't jump period they just go up the wave then down the backside then back up.  When I have a rough trailing sea and am being pushed faster than the boards they have a hard time staying out to the side but so do my little in-line boards.

Edited by Chas0218

Im sure id love the amish boards, but i went with otters so i could easily pull them in to clean weeds or when packing up for the day. Last weekend i had pikefreak jr (8 yrs old i think) doing the board reeling and he cranked them in on the fly doing 3mph while we ran lines. Also just wanted to say my 7 foot masts, reels, and launcher from Tony at Great Lakes Planers is awesome. He is a great guy to deal with and he delivered ahead of schedule and under the quoted price! I store my otters on the offset bars i added that puts my tow point and launcher ahead of my masts/trees. I put 1 keel on each side of the 2inch tubing...they ride great and out of the way.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-14031010535557_thumb.jpg

Sorry Brian, No, they don't.

Sorry Brian, No, they don't.

Pretty interesting that you see way more otter boats on Lake Ontario than Amish boards. Go around and look the charter boats and see what they are running!

I know how many boats are runing the otters and I don't understand it.  The Amish Boards are less expensive, track better and pull harder than the otters right out of the box, even after you spend a bunch of additional money to make the otters run right.

I will say this, they ARE a mother to crank in, due to how hard they pull, that's why I installed the Cisco electric planer reels on my boat. But as to your comment about nothing outperforming the otters, the Amish boards kick their ass performancewise.

Edited by Tim Bromund

I know how many boats are runing the otters and I don't understand it. The Amish Boards are less expensive, track better and pull harder than the otters right out of the box, even after you spend a bunch of additional money to make the otters run right.

I will say this, they ARE a mother to crank in, due to how hard they pull, that's why I installed the Cisco electric planer reels on my boat. But as to your comment about nothing outperforming the otters, the Amish boards kick their ass performancewise.

I'm with you Tim, only difference between my boards and the Amish are the Amish are collapsible and synthetic. You can buy otter boats but why there are better products out there.

Unless it's about the name. I know a lot of guys that have to own all name brand stuff and can't have anything that isn't made by one of the big manufacturers.

Sent from my thinking chair...