Swivels for Spoons

Dreamweaver, SPro, or Sampo make sure you use a high quality ball bearing swivel with a welded ring. Expensive but worth it in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The sizes sometimes vary with manufacturer but generally  size 2 for browns and lighter stuff (e.g. Finger Lakes) and size 3 for routine fishing including salmon.

The sizes sometimes vary with manufacturer but generally  size 2 for browns and lighter stuff (e.g. Finger Lakes) and size 3 for routine fishing including salmon.

Could you give me an estimate of how long that is?

For swivels/clips to attach to the ~lure~, I use the smallest you can get with ball bearings and welded rings.

I personally prefer SPRO (size2) or Sampo (bx1) with coastlock clips, but they're not cheap. (I know these sizes only bec. I just bought some.) I've heard good things about Dreamweaver and plan to try some this year.

The other end of the leader (i.e. up from the spoon attached to diver or flasher) I use a larger swivel, easier to handle.

Edited by markmonkey1

I want to add what size do you guys run? I have been running the ones about 5/8" I can't remember the size, does that seem about right?

Spro 60# for all my spoon connections and 100# for Flashers, Dipsy connections, and the end that connects to my main line for cheaters.

I used to use the smaller 45# Sampo's but the quality on these changed a few years back so I stick with Spro which are the best swivels I've ever used.

I have never seen my hook up ratios be affected by the larger 60# Spro swivels.

Good luck,

Chris

I believe the 2 's are about 5/8ths and the 3's are about 7/8's maybe? lately I have used just the solid ball bearing swivels in those sizes and fit them with my own black duolock snaps (the stronger wire type)

The Spro swivel size 8 is 3/8" long and is rated to 50# and the size 7 is the same just a tad more beefy and is rated to 75# and will also reel through the guides of your pole and reel. I was told when I asked what size duo clip to run and it was a 9/16 which is how long they are also but are hard to find, two trips to Cabelas and both times that row was empty, so I looked everywhere at local shops with no success so I mail ordered them through Cabelas, and found that the # 2 is so close, and you can find them anywhere. So SPRO Swivel between main line and leader and a duo lock on the business end. I tied the 7's on my salmon reels.