Handheld vhf radios

Are the portable vhf radios of any use or are they a waste. I hear they are rated for 5-6 miles, but can anyone confirm that? Being the same price as fixed I don't want to waste my money. But adding price on the antenna they are still cheaper. Not particularly fond on drilling and mounting more equipment in my new boat as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have one and it doesn't carry all that far even with the 5W setting.In order to get any distance you need a regular unit with a good antennae. The primary advantage is portability....I can take it with me on someone else's boat if they don't have one.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not sure of exact measurement but my hunch is about a couple miles (It is a Uniden Atlantis model by the way)

Handheld is 5 watts max so you don't cook your brain when using it.  The regular radio puts out 25 watts on high .  More power and the higher ant. make a big differance when calling for help. 

My guess is also they are good to hear from only a couple of miles. BUT!  The coast guard will probably be able to hear you from further away.

The issue is as others have said the antenna size. The coast guard antenna's are big and will pick up your signal, but on the other hand the handhelds are weak and won't be able to pick up the signal in return.

That's what I heard.

I keep a uniden handheld on my boat for a second radio. I have a 25 watt in the boat with a galaxy 8 foot high gain antenna on the t top as a main radio communicator. However my main radio is not a scanner and the handheld is. Listening wise..The handheld will hear transmissions from other boats with 25 watts for up to 25 30 miles even more from the mast of a sailboat...but you will find that's a one way transmission if you try to hail back from your handheld. The 5 watts will get you over water maybe 15 miles in the right conditions to an elevated antenna equipped radio.. 7 more likely in line of sight. Turn on a weather band on the handheld and you can pickup weather broadcasting from 50 miles and more, as well as some coast guard stations, but they typically run up to 150 watts on a high gain antenna 75 to 100 feet off the ground. It's better than cupping your hands and yelling help, when you consider it's safety virtues in reaching a boat nearby when you think you might sink and swim. Also while swimming you can have it with yourself..zip locked, and still call for help. Not a waste of time or money in that case...get one!

cent frum my notso smart fone

Your handheld will also give you a much better range if you hook it up to a bigger/permanently attatched and grounded to the boat antenna. I would say you should see about a 30% improvement. Get an icom or a standard horizon vhf. Hth

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Also x2 on a vhf handheld in a big freezer type ziploc. Keep an eye on the battery. Get a submersible one if you can. I think icom's and Standard Horizon's radios are.

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There is a nice articile about radios in the Greatlakes Angler, the one with Yankee troller on the cover.    Remember a good ant.. will make a bad radio a little better a bad ant. will make a good radio suck.   Handhelds are good for at the dock and such I would vote for a real radio with a good ant.