thoughts on fishing an east wind?

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts/opinions were on fishing an east wind?  I personally don't usually do very well on an east wind and usually try to avoid fishing it if possible.  I realize that fishing an east wind is better than no fishing at all, I am just curious as to what everyone's opinions are??  Or do you change your strategy or game plan in some way?

East is least for sure..  but if you do fish it, cover as much of the water column as you can and then cover/troll as much water as you can....  no real secrets here...  bring alot of beer and listen to the Warren Haynes channel on Pandora ........... :yes:

When you only fish the East end of the lake you fish majority east winds because good west winds will produce good 6 footers. And that means you generally catch more fish on an east wind. 

As was noted above we have found a few exceptions to that rule. Granted they don't apply to Lake Ontario but we always found an east wind better for bluefish and Tuna. We also prefer it for the landlocks in our local waters. Not sure if it applies to landlocks on Ontario as the water is very different.

Spike

I find that an east wind that is generated from a cold front coming in behind a warm front that's been around a few days generally shuts fishing down. However, sometimes high pressure systems carry an east wind, today is a good example on the north shore and I've had some good days on the water with this kind of easterly.

I think barometric changes have more impact on fish behavior than wind direction....it's just that the barometer always falls quick when a cold front arrives and that usually pulls an east wind with it.

Glenn

I have found east wind just about makes for a lure wash day.Fishing for muskies usually means zippo on east wind days, but if you do catch one it is usually something very big, but no numbers!We will find out how the east wind plays out this weekend for the musky opener!

Edited by mostlymuskies

You will never catch anything from your sofa - that I guarantee. Fish it.....you may be surprised.

Good luck,

Chris

Yes. My gran pappy always said that you're not going to catch any fish unless you have your line in the water, Gordie Howe also said 100% of the shots you don't take on goal won't score 

East is least for sure..  but if you do fish it, cover as much of the water column as you can and then cover/troll as much water as you can....  no real secrets here...  bring alot of beer and listen to the Warren Haynes channel on Pandora ........... :yes:

That sounds like the correct strategy. Especially the beer and Warren Haynes part.

Slow down!

If you fish Bass Pike Muskie, Jigs plastics & the like or live bait.

T & S you have to find them, either on bottom or just off structure suspended where they are sulking. Slow down also. There are certain times of the day where you may get a few & it shuts down.

If it is Lake O after temp has set up  and it has been blowing a few days the lake will upwell & you have to go offshore to find good water.