Otisco Walleye Stocking in Otisco

I havent posted much on here this spring/summer due to the fact everyone seem's to be doing well on Otisco and the site has become too much of a brag board for my taste. We have had good discussions in the past on the lakes sustainability and past/future stocking program.  A major discussion was the reason the DEC stopped stocking for a 3year period, I had been informed it was becasue they wanted to see if natural reproduction was occuring while others felt it was due to the lack of angler diary feedback.  I contacted the DEC and have attached their response below.  I was pretty confident in the reason for the three year hiatus  but shocked to learn that Otisco is now on an every other year stocking program.

Brent,

We stopped stocking for three years in order to determine whether any significant natural reproduction was occurring. We were fairly certain that none was occuring but still had to confirm, as per our statewide walleye management guidelines. As expected we caught no wild produced walleye during the three years when stocking did not occur (because of alewife predation on walleye fry). Fortunately we were able to make the case that the walleye fishery is too good to walk away from and stocking was resumed.

As of fall 2013 we completed a five year stocking "experiment" to determine whether our intensively reared walleye fingerlings from the Oneida Hatchery would work in Otisco Lake (and a number of other waters). Happily I can say that the survival of these walleye fingerlings in Otisco was similar to what we observed in the past from pond reared walleye fingerlings raised at our South Otselic Hatchery. Using the Oneida Hatchery in this way will essentially double the number of walleye fingerlings available for stocking around the state. However, even with these fish demand still is greater than supply. We are now managing the Otisco walleye fishery under a "Put-Grow-Take" scenario and 44,000 fingerlings will be stocked every other year

Region 7 Fisheries Office
NYSDEC
1285 Fisher Avenue
Cortland NY, 13045
(607) 753-3095 xt. 213

I just sent an email on the same subject and havent recieved a response. Looks like conesus is now on an every year

program and we are every other! Seems they cant decide as this is nothing like the last word i recieved. But like ive said they made the case the fishery is too good to walk away from. Dont you think the lake needs to be promoted to save the stockings now more than ever.

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here is the last sentence from their email to me that was cut off when I copied it.  "Otisco is the first water to be approved for this type of management and it is because the fishery that developed has been one of the best in the state. "  Based on this email I have full confidence that the stocking of walleye in Otisco will never again be compromised...  You and I firmly  believe in the diary program and I encourage everyone to participate!!!  As a marketing professional I firmly beleive the direct marketing/promotion of Otisco will not have any effect on the stocking program but could have an adversed effect on the overall fishery due to the high volume of anglers it is attracting.

I understand your point, but all it takes is a lack of fishing and low catch rates and if there becomes a shortage of fingerlings those fingerlings will go for supplemental stockings first and then its a popularity contest to see which alewife lakes will get what is left. Otisco gets an edge because of the shore access at the causeway and the state lists it as a top 5 shore spot for freshwater. As far as pressure goes its busy for 2-3 weeks then a ghost town out there. When there was guys fishing i didnt post much info...though i was fishing, not catching much more than 1 if i was lucky. When i stopped seeing guys on the causeway,only 1-2 on the rocks, and hardly ever more than 1 other boat...then i started reporting....i certainly think the difficulty of the fishery keeps it from overcrowding. I have taken 16 people and not 1 has chosen to come back on there own that i have seen. I do think a few might be out this weekend, and it is a good thing imo! When are you coming out again? Its gonna end soon enough!

It would seem that like a lot of things in life this situation is a double edged sword....and the time honored concept of "balance" is key to making it come outright. On the one hand if you guys(and perhaps others) hadn't touted the great fishing there DEC might not have realized what an important fishery it can be but on the other hand it is not a real big body of water and potential "over fishing" is a concern since natural reproduction isn't occurring with noticeable frequency.  It also appears to me that the uninitiated or inexperienced Walleye and Tiger fishermen without very specific knowledge or capabilities are going to be struggling somewhat to effectively fish it. The fact that fishing it at night is the most productive time/method many folks will not be all that gung ho or comfortable to be launching and traveling around in the dark, and it is a distance to travel to from many areas of the state where high densities of fishermen may have it easier to get to other (perhaps less desirable though) alternatives. I guess human nature is such also that folks move on to other things (and places) pretty quickly these days....so maybe things will turn out better than suspected. As long as the DEC and State see it as viable and worth $$$ they will continue to keep it going....but "reminders" can be important :)

Edited by Sk8man

I understand your point, but all it takes is a lack of fishing and low catch rates and if there becomes a shortage of fingerlings those fingerlings will go for supplemental stockings first and then its a popularity contest to see which alewife lakes will get what is left. Otisco gets an edge because of the shore access at the causeway and the state lists it as a top 5 shore spot for freshwater. As far as pressure goes its busy for 2-3 weeks then a ghost town out there. When there was guys fishing i didnt post much info...though i was fishing, not catching much more than 1 if i was lucky. When i stopped seeing guys on the causeway,only 1-2 on the rocks, and hardly ever more than 1 other boat...then i started reporting....i certainly think the difficulty of the fishery keeps it from overcrowding. I have taken 16 people and not 1 has chosen to come back on there own that i have seen. I do think a few might be out this weekend, and it is a good thing imo! When are you coming out again? Its gonna end soon enough!

I would like to get out tonight

Good stuff guys! Overfishing is certainly a concern BUT the difficulty of it and the time you go (night) or early am would negate that in my opinion.

I just dont think theres enough guys like Justin out there that DONT sleep! :lol:

And anybody who has been on otisco know that fishing during the day on the weekends is pretty useless AND dangerous with the amount of recreational boaters and lake crows (waverunners) on the lake.

It would seem that like a lot of things in life this situation is a double edged sword....and the time honored concept of "balance" is key to making it come outright. On the one hand if you guys(and perhaps others) hadn't touted the great fishing there DEC might not have realized what an important fishery it can be but on the other hand it is not a real big body of water and potential "over fishing" is a concern since natural reproduction isn't occurring with noticeable frequency.  It also appears to me that the uninitiated or inexperienced Walleye and Tiger fishermen without very specific knowledge or capabilities are going to be struggling somewhat to effectively fish it. The fact that fishing it at night is the most productive time/method many folks will not be all that gung ho or comfortable to be launching and traveling around in the dark, and it is a distance to travel to from many areas of the state where high densities of fishermen may have it easier to get to other (perhaps less desirable though) alternatives. I guess human nature is such also that folks move on to other things (and places) pretty quickly these days....so maybe things will turn out better than suspected. As long as the DEC and State see it as viable and worth $$$ they will continue to keep it going....but "reminders" can be important :)

Les, you make some good points between balance and reminders... From talking with the DEC they seem to know what a great fishery Otisco is and while they utilize the information from the diaries they do rely heavily on there own data such as when they stock the lake in the spring and shock it in the fall for survival rates.. How's the fishing on Candandaigua? I lived there for 27years before moving to Otisco and I still own a house there on Rt.488..  I use to love the small mouth fishing on the lake.

Good stuff guys! Overfishing is certainly a concern BUT the difficulty of it and the time you go (night) or early am would negate that in my opinion.

I just dont think theres enough guys like Justin out there that DONT sleep! :lol:

And anybody who has been on otisco know that fishing during the day on the weekends is pretty useless AND dangerous with the amount of recreational boaters and lake crows (waverunners) on the lake.

Let me make this clear - this is NOT about Justin or overfishing it was just some useful information that I recieved.  Actually fishing on Otisco during the day has been better than in the last several years.

Brent,

I didnt take it as an attack at all. We know eachother and we understand each other's reasoning. My goals are obviously different than most. Some people arent big fans of sharing others are...its not a right or wrong issue. Its a personal choice we all make. Just so long as we can fish and share the resource im happy. Stop down again had fun fishing together and would like to again!

I just recieved word from the dec region 7 office that they will attend our walleye event in july. I requested a presentation a couple weeks ago to explain stocking plans, the angler diary program, and how we can help them. There are many issues and this should clarify any confusion. Its very easy to be critical of the DEC and each other, but I hope this will help forge a better relationship between us all!