How far to run lead behind dipsy diver when running spoons?

Going to put the wire divers out this weekend with the mags. Im wondering how far of a lead I should give myself from dipsey to spoon??? Im not running snubbers. I set my drag just right so it takes off right away. Ill prolly use snubber later in season tho. any dipsy tips will be much appreciated! Thanks a bunch and tight lines

well I think it's an opinion thing. Me personally it depends on what I am running behind the dipsy, spoons or flies. When I run spoons behind them I use a 20# mono leader that is anywhere between18-24" behind the dipsy. When I run flasher/fly my leader is twice the length of my board and my fly is usually 18" from board. Now when I run meat my leader is much longer usually around 30" so it gives the squids more whipping action. I use mono leaders on my dipsy's only because there is some stretch for forgiveness and it doesn't tear the hooks out of there mouths. Knock on wood I have lost one in who knows how long and I also run 4 dipsy rods every trip. Good Luck and I hope this helps you out. Tom

You could consider running slide divers on super braid for pulling spoons. You can run a really long 20lb flouro lead to the spoon from the diver and after the fish hits, the diver slides down to a bead 10" or so from the spoon. I really like the stealthy advantages that this setup provides.

I usually run the slide divers on 3 to the outside and my regular wire mag dipsy divers on 1.5 to the inside. If the fish really want wire & FF combos I break out my 2cd set of wire diver rods (10') and run std size divers set on 3 for my outside setups.

Edited by chowder

I agree with the sliders but maybe its my mate but we usually end up with a mess on our hands. I run 2-0's on each one at 3 on a 10'6 rod and the other at 1.5 on a 9'6. We just seem to have that program dialed in good cause we the run surface stuff or a copper on the otters plus riggers. I usually run 8 rods but lately been doing 6. Seems less is more kind of thing for us.

I agree with the sliders but maybe its my mate but we usually end up with a mess on our hands. I run 2-0's on each one at 3 on a 10'6 rod and the other at 1.5 on a 9'6. We just seem to have that program dialed in good cause we the run surface stuff or a copper on the otters plus riggers. I usually run 8 rods but lately been doing 6. Seems less is more kind of thing for us.

I think it makes a difference to run mag dipsy divers as the inside diver when running slide divers on the outside. The mags dive much sharper & don't mix it up w/ the silde divers.

I don't have any braid setups. That's next on the never ending list. haha almost there. I just have the wire setups.

keep the wire for the dipsys and run the same size on both sides. Outside on a 3 setting shallower on a 10'6" rod and a 1 setting on the inside deeper on a 8'6" rod. As far as leader length from the dipsy to the spoon play around with it. Sometimes shorter is better sometimes LONG works best. We usually start with 9' of leader from the dipsy to the spoon but sometimes 12' and even longer works best. When going longer you will have to handline the fish to the net. With some practice it really isnt hard. The slid divers work good to but I'd just stick to running wire dipsys in the same size

I always try to keep the length between the dipsy and the terminal tackle about the length of  the rod I use. That way I can net the fish by myself and with the rod and line on deck,there is less chance of a F---up