DEC shooting swans

I know this is probably hunting related but let's hear some feed back! Today the DEC exercised their right to shoot two swans in Black river bay because they were invasive species! I'm curious to know why they shot them? Was it really necessary or what? I'm looking for answers!

I don't know for sure why they shot them but, mute swans are in fact an invasive species in ny and when it comes to waterfowl they are the meanest of the bunch. They will chase every other fowl from a swamp . There has been chatter of a season coming for them. There is a lot of info to be found in a google search of " mute swans in ny"

I know this is probably hunting related but let's hear some feed back! Today the DEC exercised their right to shoot two swans in Black river bay because they were invasive species! I'm curious to know why they shot them? Was it really necessary or what? I'm looking for answers!

NY is one of the FEW states that actually protects what has been declared an "invasive species" by the Feds. Most states, PA included, have a "shoot on sight" policy. Thanks to a "swan hugging" group on Long Island mute swans are actually protected in NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Make that non-native and invasive. I read they were brought over from Europe to decorate peoples ponds years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

But then again they do not all need to be killed.For example there are couple mute swans on Cassadaga Lake that are fed and cared for through the winter months by the local community.They are part of their local eco system and symbols in print on the CLA publication.