NY Muskie Season Opener

Good Luck to everyone tomorrow fishing the NY Muskie Season Opener! I will be at Chautauqua Lake for Saturday, Opening Day, then the Buffalo Harbor until July 1st. I will post reports here daily on how the season is going for clients on my boat!

I have not been down to Chautauqua yet this year, but with the cold water conditions that hung on until late spring this year put a few things behind normal progression.Usually when the water stays cold for a longer period of time the grass grows rapidly around Chautauqua Lakes North Basin From 12 Ft Into shore.This extra grass growth will deplete oxygen levels on the shore edges forcing the Bait Fish schools out to the 1st drop or out deep near bottom.So look for suspended muskies over deeper water.Down in the South Basin the muskies will be in the 12 ft water in the middle of the lake between Smith Boys Marina and the White Wall.I will give a report after tomorrow's fishing!

Opening Day Chautauqua Lake,47",44",36 3/4" & 33" trolling south basin.Wiley 5 1/2" Jtd Golden Brown Perch at 4.0 mph over 15 ft of water.Surface water temp was 73 degrees.My boat turned rust orange color from one day on the lake.Buffalo Harbor tomorrow!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Went to the SBH this morning to find over 100 boats Going Out From the launch For walleye.This would have made trolling the south gap nearly impossible without having someone run across your trolled lines.So I drove off to to Fort Niagara and the Lower Niagara River to try for muskies.Managed a 35"er and a small Lake trout and quit by 1:00 pm.Back to the Buffalo Harbor for a try tomorrow.

Went to the SBH this morning and client was a no show.Called up Chris Kemph and we fished for 1 1/2 hours and could not get any fish to move in the heat of the day.We did mark some good muskies both behind the walls and out in the lake.May not get out again until Wednesday night because of weather.