Canandaigua 6-20-14 AM

I went solo at 5:50 AM launched from the north end. Started at the pump house and trolled south on the west side .Picked up first rainbow about 1/2 mile south of German Brothers on downrigger with orange and silver taped up Quick Strike 22 set at 32 ft over 74. He fought valiantly and unfortunately it was his undoing because he didn't make it after getting the hook out. Usually i don't bring them in the boat but I couldn't get the hook out of his mouth witht he pliers in the usual way so boxed him. He was about 4 1/2 lbs and 24 inches. Next up another rainbow on downrigger at 30 ft over 67 released unharmed. Trolled past Onanda before turning and both downriggers fired. I could see the one set on the 32 ft was small but the other took out the drag a couple times and fought pretty good....thought he was a decent bow but turned out to be 6-7 lb laker off same Quick Strike spoon as rainbow but set at 47 and I was in 187 ft then. Trolled back north on the east side but used a 200 copper with dipsey and flasher/fly, a wire rig dipsey with wonderbread spinny and green fly and a 5 color lead core. Never had a touch all the way back to Pelican Point, turned south and never had a touch there either so quit at 12:30. I marked a lot of bait and fish as well in 50-75 ft of water on both sides and then  lakers right on or near bottom in 197 ft. I worked a pronounced scum line out in the middle without success. There were many dead fish floating out in the middle mostly perch and rock bass but a few trout as well ....all small fish and they didn't really look like "throw backs" and they were widely spread out. I had some cotton and weeds too as well as a few fleas so they are starting up from the looks of it. Crappy pics but tough one handed :lol: Gave the rainbow to some young guys fishing on the pier...they were pretty happy....

post-145411-0-58288500-1403292491_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-06110500-1403292502_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-57327100-1403292515_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I washed the outside of the boat today at the carwash Jim :lol:  Ed years ago the guy that made the Quick Strikes (from the Elmira area I think?) used to deliver the spoons in person tomy friend who owned a tackle shop between Geneva and Waterloo and i used to BS with him there and I bought a few dozen for about $1.75 or $2.00 each...and glad I did (1970's).my favorite is the #11 hammered silver. It is deadly for rainbows in the late Summer and Fall. Mike it was just good getting back out there and seeing that there are actually some fish and bait left in the lake :)

post-145411-0-86993400-1403307583_thumb.jpg

I washed the outside of the boat today at the carwash Jim :lol:  Ed years ago the guy that made the Quick Strikes (from the Elmira area I think?) used to deliver the spoons in person tomy friend who owned a tackle shop between Geneva and Waterloo and i used to BS with him there and I bought a few dozen for about $1.75 or $2.00 each...and glad I did (1970's).my favorite is the #11 hammered silver. It is deadly for rainbows in the late Summer and Fall. Mike it was just good getting back out there and seeing that there are actually some fish and bait left in the lake :)

Les, good job - nice fish.  If you need some 22`s I`ve got a bunch of Pine Valley`s tucked away you can have from the old days.  Not a silver plate but pretty good nickel plate.  Also you mentioned Bob liked using big spoons.  I`ve got some 06`s (PV`s) he can have, nice plating also.  Just don`t use them any more.  Hop.

I was joking about the inside of the boat...seeing that rainbow on that dirty deck lol but at least its all from FISH...

Thanks Hop ....have to get together for coffee or lunch sometime soon.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Carol brother usto get them some where in Buffalo every year back in 97...... he got a hat of the guy one year and we would see who got the first fish of the year and they would be the keeper of the hat .........LOL.... I'll have to take a look and see what I have..... I know a few are still in his wrapper never saw water yet..... that is a chunky bow....

:)  Yeah Jim I have got to get after the inside....it is the worst it has ever been....Lets see if we can mess the inside of your with fish stuff sometime soon on Keuka :lol:

I was out as well yesterday and did about the same as the day before.  Picked 2 small bows on riggers set at 50 over about 90 on Sutton 22's.  They came in the Pelican Point area and then down further near Long Point.  Got a bit later start than Les though.  Didn't get lines in the water until about 830.  I did see Les out there though.  Good looking boat!

I saw you get both those bows in closer yesterday Ted. On the calmer days the pontoon boats are definitely the way to go and I could see that you were walking around like being in your living room :)  I was kinda jealous :lol:  The Quick Strike #22's I  had success with were identical in shape and size to the #22 Sutton's ...interesting....sounds as though you may have missed the sunrise in the channel Ted :)  so here it is:

Les

post-145411-0-37240700-1403352184_thumb.jpg

Yes - I did miss that sunrise Les. But thanks for the pic. The pontoon was a compromise with my wife. It really does work out well and it's very comfortable. As you say, the choppy days not so much though. It looks pretty nice out there today but unfortunately I have to work at Seagers and watch everyone else out there fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Probably the  only pics in existence from Armiral Byrds boat were the ones during this years derby and the ones taken of me holding up MY salmon caught on his boat using MY equipment....Bob likes to catch LAKE TROUT while we are fishing for SALMON :lol: I did feel sorry enough for him though to let him help hold up one of my salmon last season....poor guy.... :) a pic so Bob can remember what they look like Brian. Geez we look kinda like the blues brothers :lol:

post-145411-0-89765000-1403389750_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Well Les I finally picked up another boat. Maybe after I get it cleaned up, we can get together for coffee and I can pick your brain on how to set this gear up? I want to take this thing on a loooooong shakedown before I do anything else. Can't wait to get out!

:lol: ....you guys had a field day on me last week so I'm taking up a defensive position :)  all in fun anyway....Bob knows it is just jealousy over those big lakers he got during the derby :lol: