Deans cove parking

The state has a new parking system at Dean's Cove. They did away with the "lady" in the booth and replaced her with an ATM like device at the top of the stairs on the edge of the parking lot. The machine accepts both credit cards and cash (I have no idea if it gives change). I didn't actually use the machine because I have an Empire Passport.

Most of the other people there today didn't bother to use the machine either and they were rewarded with parking tickets!

Beware, the lot is periodically patrolled and you will pay the $7 parking fee or suffer the consequences!

Yep. My home port. The launch was supposed to never be a pay to get in park. It was donated to be a free launch until the state took it over. Now you pay 7 bucks 7 days a week to launch on a dock missing a couple posts. Ridiculous..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bigfoot

If you didn’t use the machine how did you get away with not paying for a parking ticket. You would have to put in your passport number to confirm you paid for a season pass. I don’t think deans cove is state. I think its a county ramp. I had a problem with them once. I get a camping spot at Sampson every time I fish the area. They told me my Sampson reservation is no good at deans cove, I would have to pay to launch there. I wouldn’t pay them. This is just another tax to suck the little guy dry. Its sickening with all the taxes we pay now to live in this brain dead liberal state. Who knows what they will come up with next to tax the people. Did you here the federal government wants to add a 12 cent gas tax to the gas now. Keep voting for the same crap. If they can get away with it here. All state ramps will have them. Another computer taking a summer job away from somebody. You can see why New York State has only 48 percent of its people paying taxes. The people that work and pay taxes continue to get ripped off. We don’t have any boats on the lakes now. Have you looked at all the fees and expenses we have to pay to enjoy a boat here. Its not worth it to own one now.

Ray, I have an Empire Passport displayed on my tow vehicle so I didn't have to payto park. You could say that I have already paid to park.

The Empire Passport is good for day parking at most state launches and state parksstatewide. NYS spends it's money on lots of questionable stuff, but our state parks are badly underfunded; and the money from the Empire Passport helps keep our parks open. It's one of the few taxes that I actually feel good about paying.

Your reservation at Sampson does not entitle you to park at any other state facility. Why would it?

I am 100% certain that deans cove is a state facility, not a county launch. Both Dean's cove and Long Point State Park are patrolled by staff from Cayuga Lake State Park. (NYS Department of Parks and Recreation).

Those of us that use the facility should be willing to help pay for it's maintence.

Bigfoot is right and the Empire Pass is worth getting if you do much launching. I used to always be uptight about having the 7$ in my vehicle to pay the charge bcause I oiften forgot about it when the toll things were unmanned in the AM and once I had to give the guy it all in change (from my thruway money)..... I do have to admit I did have a warm fuzzy feeling when I saw the look on his face when he had to count it out :lol:

Bigfoot

How long have you lived camped, fish and worked in New York State. Almost 62 years for me. This state is in the worst shape I have ever seen it during my lifetime. Your passport is good for somebody that likes to launch at any state park. I agree its a good deal if you use it for this purpose. Your passport is not helping out with any state ramps. Its going in the general fund to help pay for the liberal empire of NY city. Take a good look at the conditions of the state ramps now. Your sleeping here. I agree our parks are underfunded .We don’t need most of them now. We don’t have the population to help fund them anymore. Why do you think the state is taking them over because the people think the government is better. Our people are moving out of New York because of liberal mentality I think the state should close up the parks that don’t get the use, or turn them over to a private enterprise. Sampson state Park is one of them now that’s going under. Take a good look at the marina. It should have been closed up 5 years ago for safety reasons. The roads in the park are deplorable. This is one park the state should try and move off to the private sector now. No it will be closed up someday. Don t say it wont happen. I can see the handwriting on the wall. Anybody that camps in New York State that gets a camp site can go to any state park during your reservation time and use that park the same day any ware in our state for free. I do it all the time. A passport is useless for me. Deans cove is just an experiment. If it works out you will see it in all state ramps. All ramps are empty now during the week. It makes no since to have somebody collect your money during the week. Just weekends. What I would do is boycott this ramp and send a message to the idiots that want to come up with another tax to stop this stupid thing now. It cost more to put in a machine. Its cheaper to have somebody collect your money on weekends.    

Ed

If deans cove is a state park, how come the other state parks don’t have the machines in now. Lodi is state. If sampson puts them in. it makes no difference for me. I get camping. That means I can come down and launch for free at lodi.

Our state launches are top notch, and I agree we are a state in poor standing, but our natural resources are second to none when you consider all we have available. No one gets everything right, but our DEC is on the job, and they are doing us right. Don't be so damn cheap! The Times, they are a changing.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We don't need most of our state ramps? No more boats on the lake? Seriously? Where have you been lately? When was the last time you fished? Cayuga was pretty busy today from tremain to miliken, and then to long point. And that was all before noon. Then come the jet skis and sail boats. Your on another planet.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great lakes lure

You think we have it good today we had it better 40 years ago. Its was better back in the old days. We had everybody paying into the system and we had a lot of things for free. Today I pay more and get less for it. I agree The dec has done a good job with our lakes. Our boat launches are in terrible shape. Very little maintenance at most of them. Fewer people using them every year. You said you would pay 150 dollars to clean your trailer because you were one of the passive Americans that let our politicians get away with these foreigners coming in with their dirty ships and dumping their crap in our water. Yes I agree times are changing not for the better. Pretty soon you wont be-able to afford your fishing because they have you brainwashed to believe you have to pay more to enjoy your sport. I'm paying to much now. Its cheaper now for me to go out and pay to go fishing. I'm ready to sell the boat and screw them all. My boat is still setting home and its probably going to sit there all year, these bastards wont screw me. This is election year. Get rid of them. I saw the better days. They will never come back during my lifetime. You like to pay. Keep paying. Some day you wont be able to afford it.  

Ed

If deans cove is a state park, how come the other state parks don’t have the machines in now. Lodi is state. If sampson puts them in. it makes no difference for me. I get camping. That means I can come down and launch for free at lodi.

I took it off the N.Y. state park site Ray for the empire pass...........

come on down Ray I'll give you a ride in the new boat...... Lodi park was real busy today boats and people but it was a nice day and they had a wedding going on also.......

Anything that will help myself and future generations being able to get on the water and enjoy these lakes around us I will support. Boating is expensive what's $60 to be able to launch anywhere you want and save this debate. Gas is $4 a gallon if were trying to complain about something let's start their.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree that the state is in poor shape.

I can not agree that nobody uses the boat launches during the week. There were about 20 rigs in the parking lot at Dean's on Friday. That's about $140 more revenue than they used to collect on Fridays.

I'm would image that some over paid bean counter ran the numbers and decided that

the machine makes sense. The machine eliminates the expense of the staffing.

Instead of collecting revenue 26 days a year, in theory it's collecting 365 days ayear. OK, so they won't collect much of anything in the dead of winter, but they

will collect a lot in the Spring and Fall when the didn't used to have staffing. Iwouldn't be surprised if the machine pays for itself in short order.

Sampson recently received a bunch of money. Instead of paving the road or fixing

the marina they are going to build new rental cabins. Arrrrgh!

NYS Empire Passport: Best $65.00 you'll spend if you use state launches. After 10 trips you'll be saving money and no messing with tickets or attendents. Just drive in and drive out. :nod: 

http://www.nysparks.com/admission/empire-passport/

All the state parks it is good at:

http://www.nysparks.com/parks/park-results.aspx?a=749&ao=0&src=3

One of the points that Ray made should not be glossed over because it is at the heart of the State's financial woes and that s the fact that nearly all money taken in by the state is put into the "GENERAL FUND" and then treated as a pinata by the legislators and governor with everyone hitting it with their stick to get money for their short-sighted self-serving projects. All funds should be dedicated for specific use and the general fund used for "overflow" with specific accounting to make sure the funds are used only for their intended use (e.g. Thruway tolls and gasoline taxes go only to improve roads and bridges etc. and launch ramp fees only for maintenance and development of launches, lottery monies only to the schools etc. One of the other outdated things the state does is they don't roll over funds from one year to the next....they get rid of the money each year at the end of the fiscal year by spending it on BS things just to get rid of it instead of responsibly managing it. I saw it happen for over 30 years.

Edited by Sk8man