Well the 1st day of summer – Yay!  Put in at the river just at daybreak.

6-21-14A_zps4415aa50.jpg

6-21-14B_zpsea22767b.jpg

River surface just about 70F.  Dead calm.  Quite a bit of cloud cover over land.  Took a left at the pierheads, again.  Headed out to 90 FOW & pointed outward.  Quite a few prop busters on the way out there, so be careful.

Got everything set up and…

6-21-14C_zps3d8dfd64.jpg

Water was going nuts!  I must have started out in the middle of an upwelling/downwelling.  Very strange for such a calm day.  I didn’t want to believe the speed changes on the probe but the light rigger cable angle changed a few times too.

Major scum line in 108 FOW.

6-21-14D_zps74963b48.jpg

Another, although minor & spread out from 130-140 FOW.  Bait pods all over the place outside the 1sr scum line and they were tightly balled up.  Fairly shallow too.  Tops anywhere from 22 to 40 down.

Anyways…what worked?  The truck worked.  The boat worked.  The sonar worked. The GPS worked.  The rigg’rs worked.

What didn’t work?  About 2 Grand in fishing lures didn’t work!  

No fish today.  That’s why it’s called fishing & not catching.  Oh, well, very peaceful out there & still beats working.  :)  Pulled them up around 10.  Maybe 7 trailers in the lot.

Luck to all, there's always next weekend.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom, 

I should have posted about my Friday afternoon trip out of Braddocks, you could have done a copy / paste and saved some time typing......  many, many bait pods and fish in the 60 - 100 ft. range, good temps, and fished the same surface breaks you saw..... changed up lures, speed, depth a bunch of times, 2 short strikes on cheaters and a skippy king so small, he never released the wire diver.  Seems like a slow weekend for most boats in the Rocheater area. 

Nice day yesterday for sure Tom! I resisted the temptation to go out after looking at the surface readings from satellite. They were changing drastically! Three different snaps of the surface during the day showed it was going to be a challenge...you have seen the bait! I have hooked more of them in the side than any other time. I wonder how many we don't see in that screen when the cone is looking at 4 feet of bait in that Window under 25 feet of water. Temps seem to be separating the bait from the predators in terms of comfort zone :huh:

Thanks for the report..guess it was...for me...a better day to save gas funds for another day!

Mark

cent frum my notso smart fone

all the larger fish are out in 250-400 FOW,from 50-200 feet down,saturday evening we got 4 kings 12-18 pounds and a few lost ones,when we got out to 375 we had our best screen,was full and stacked up all the way down to 300,we even picked a nice one on 5 color lead core,wonder bread spin doctor with matching fly,and green yellow spoon took most hits