Cayuga 6-22-14

Launched out Deans Cove fishing the Finger Lakes Trollers Association Tournament and ran South found some good looking water that looked promising and set up shop running cores coppers dipsys riggers and rigs... We instantly were locked with fish as we dropped rods on a north troll, it was insane for the first 2 hours fish hitting as soon as we got the gear set, we were doubled up a few times.. We caught some decent lakers so started working hard at finding some that were over the 16" mark ... Im not a fan of leaving fish to find fish but we did and it payed off boat a beautiful little bow and nice landlock and had our 5 fish box and spent the rest of the day trying to upgrade with no prevail... We went 35 for 37 and ended up 3rd in the tournament .... Finger Lakes Tackle did all the damage today hot colors were orange and green for us... Cant say enough about the guys that fish with me every tournament they are all outstanding fisherman and its nice when your on the boat on a day like today and its crazy with so much going on and everyone knows what there job is and no one has to be told what to do cause they're already doing it... Great job to everyone who fished, everyone had a pretty good day of fishing and see you all at our next one on Seneca

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-148405-14035212453407_thumb.jpg

post-148405-14035212610074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iron Duke

Great job! I got schooled on my home lake! We ended up 21 for 26 dropped a nice Brown behind boat. Lead cores and dipsy were hot early for us too. We landed three short Bows and a couple of small salmon, I made the mistake of not going after the silver fish earlier, oh well... next weekend LOU all! beware I saw the Billy V crew out tearing it up probably :lol:

Congratulations to all and especially the crew that boated 28lbs, awesome!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys!! Yeah Nauti im sure the billy v crew will be dialed in as usual so good luck to you hope you bring it home. We are headed to Lake Erie looking for monster lakers and Steelies so not gonna make Lou All ... Gonna try to do a live report on this page if you guys dont mind.. If weather is good we will be on the water Friday and Saturday so I will do my best to update when I can....

Mike

Congratulations on a fine day and your awesome points lead. First place and leaving the rest of us in the dust.

We fished north and caught 20 fish or so (not counting dink salmon). After all of the talk on this board (and some pics) of the lamprey problem on Cayuga, I was amazed to find not a single fresh wound on any of our lakers. We did take a 5LB landlock at Long Point that came aboard with a lamprey attached. (30 foot down over 130 FOW)

I'm wondering what your fish looked like (wound wise) and thinking that the lamprey problem might be worse on the south end.

Walt all our fish but 2 were lamprey free and the others we brought to the boat looked beautiful, no scaring or wounds.. They two lampreys where juveniles.. very small in size... I was just as surprised as you.... A guy I work with has a sail boat in the south end on Cayuga and tells me on numerous times he has two to five lampreys stuck to his boat while just sailing the Southend this year but I did not see much evidence of the problem this time...

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

Hello Mike,

37 fish on, is a busy day. I use to fish Cayuga in the 80's. When I was a teen. Had some awesome days back then. I hear it's not that good any more. But you managed to hook up alot. Great day.

Brent

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Brent the fish are still there just have to do some searching but when you find them and there on the feed it can make for a very exciting day.. There were quite a few fisherman and woman who had a very productive day also... I found the lakers but just couldn't find any of those big ones that Cayuga has been famous for over the years.... They're there but not like they use to be so many including myself seem to think that the lampreys may have something to do with this...

Mike

Great day Mike, congrats!  Yes, we were out yesterday and poked around a few spots.  We'll see just how dialed in we are on Sunday!  :) :smile:

The lamprey problem is most prevalent at the south end in the spring and then again lake-wide later in the season.  They haven't been bad at all lately and haven't been bad the past few years in June, July, and August.  We didn't fish much this spring due to rigging up the new ride, but in years past nearly every fish that we caught out of the south end in the spring would have at least one lamprey on it, and some would have as many as 4 or 5 small eels on it.  Later in the season we've had them attach to rigger weights, the back of the boat, etc.and they're much bigger at that point.  I'm another that believes that the lamprey problem has significantly impacted this fishery.

Great day Mike, congrats! Yes, we were out yesterday and poked around a few spots. We'll see just how dialed in we are on Sunday! :) :smile:

The lamprey problem is most prevalent at the south end in the spring and then again lake-wide later in the season. They haven't been bad at all lately and haven't been bad the past few years in June, July, and August. We didn't fish much this spring due to rigging up the new ride, but in years past nearly every fish that we caught out of the south end in the spring would have at least one lamprey on it, and some would have as many as 4 or 5 small eels on it. Later in the season we've had them attach to rigger weights, the back of the boat, etc.and they're much bigger at that point. I'm another that believes that the lamprey problem has significantly impacted this fishery.

what is your new ride on the water?

Great day Mike, congrats! Yes, we were out yesterday and poked around a few spots. We'll see just how dialed in we are on Sunday! :) :smile:

The lamprey problem is most prevalent at the south end in the spring and then again lake-wide later in the season. They haven't been bad at all lately and haven't been bad the past few years in June, July, and August. We didn't fish much this spring due to rigging up the new ride, but in years past nearly every fish that we caught out of the south end in the spring would have at least one lamprey on it, and some would have as many as 4 or 5 small eels on it. Later in the season we've had them attach to rigger weights, the back of the boat, etc.and they're much bigger at that point. I'm another that believes that the lamprey problem has significantly impacted this fishery.

Good job mike..

Ya Billy the south end seams to be worse.. I did quite a few charters over there with HookJaw last spring and every fish we brought to the boat had at least one if not many lampreys and it made me absolutely sick to my stomach on how the fisherie was slowly having the life sucked out of it... Hope DEC hits the lampricide treatments hard and we get rid of some of these eels cause if not it is gonna eventually destroy the trout and salmon fishing.... Thanks Joe , glad you guys had a good day of fishing too.. Def a good day for everyone. ..

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke