Backing for copper line?

I use power pro 65lb braid.

When I spool, I fill the reel in reverse to get the correct length of backing to fill the reel perfectly, then take it off and transfer it between spools so I can reinstall it on the reel in the correct sequence.

Start with your leader to the lure (I use fluorocarbon leader material), then your copper, the a section of heavy mono where you will attach it to inline planers or big-board releases (5-10' of 40-50lb big game works well for this), then your backing until the reel is full. The last thing I do is add about 20 feet of 25lb big game on top of this. When you turn this around and reinstall it, the 25lb mono makes contact with the reel's spool (instead of the braid) and wont slide on the spool like Braid can. I always begin a braid backed reel with 20 feet of mono to prevent slipping. Connections are albright knots with the exception of Spro swivels on each end of the copper. Copper get's haywire twists to the swivels covered by clear shrink tape.

The 40-50lb big game behind the copper can take a season's beating from releases and inline board attachment. If you go less than this, you may have to replace it more frequently. Don't go heavier as it's too difficult to tie small knots that will pass easily through the guides and reel's levelwind.

Edited by John E Powell

Yes if you have 2 of the same reels, transfer from one to the other. If both are line counters, all the better, make note of the counter readings for each segment. Just remember that the counter readings wont be accurate when the reel is partially full, you're just using them for reference. Also, keep in mind that a reading of, for example 430' when initially filling in reverse is not the same as 430' refilling normally - on subsequent reels you still need to measure out things in reverse on the counter then put them on forward afterwards. What you can do with 2 or more line counters is to take your readings on the second reel when you are in the process of transferring the backwards initial fill to the second reel. In this way, you are noting the readings on a forward fill, not the reverse fill.

Does that make sense?

A better way I found with 2 identical reels is count full passes. Like was said before the counters can and will be diff between reels. I write down the passes for backing, and then copper. I use Suffix performance braid in 50lb test. Good Luck.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm setting up my first copper rig. What type of backing and lb test do you folks like? How much backing for 300 ft copper?

I think I have some leftover ripcord braid lying around....

What reels?

I have an Okuma madga pro 45dx. Big enough?

No it is not but an Okuma 55 series is a perfect fit for a 300' copper.

Heres my spooling chart for a 300 copper...

Okuma 55 series (Convector, Clarion)

600-800’ of Blood Run 50# braid- backer

300’ Blood Run 45#- copper

35’ of 30# Blood Run Fluorocarbon- leader

When you run copper, do you put the "copper-to-backing" swivel at the water?

I'm wondering if I can get by with the 45 series reel if I use less backing (at the risk of getting spooled!)

I'll have to check, I think my 10 color LC is on a 45 series reel. It's tight but it works.

I bet it will hold 150 yds of 50 lbs power pro, 300 ft of copper and a 20 ft leader.  I run a piece of electrical tape over the knot tieing the power pro to the spool.  It keeps the line from slipping on the spool.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

Yes, that's the preferred method.  But...

I have my 300 copper on a linecounter reel (which won't accurately measure copper).  Since i don't have a 200...i have been running my 300 down the chute deployed at varying lengths and it's been working.  I re-set the counter...deployed it...and found it reads 420 with all the copper out.  So, i divide 420 by 3 to (somewhat) give me an idea of where i'm at for every 100 ft.  I keep the drag fairly loose...as not to damage the copper if i get a big hit. 

The drop rate of 45# copper is usually around 22' for every 100' of copper out. That is depending on what you are trolling off the end of it. As for your reel size yah a 45 is a little small for 300. I run a 300,400 and a 500 all on Tekota 8000 series reels and they barely make it on those. They are equal to a 55 size reel.