spooling wire line

I just ordered my first 2 wire dipsey rigs. I ordered 1000 feet of camo 30# per rod but I have several questions about spooling up the reels:

Do I need a backing or just spool it directly to the reel.

Do I need to tape the reel spool to grab the wire?

Any other considerations?

I assume most knots would be OK for tying to the spool.

I do understand the line needs to be kept in tension when loading so I'm at least 1-step there.

I bought Daiwa SG47LCA and Heartland 9.5 combos.

Jekyll

Jekyll,

No backing required. 1000' of 30# will fill that 47 perfectly. I put one wrap of electrical tape around the spool to help give the wire something to bite on when I start spooling. For a knot, I tie a clinch knot and pull it as tight as I can get it. You'll definitely want to spool it on tight...I try and have someone there to hold the spool of wire and keep a lot of tension on it while I reel it on.

Good luck with it this season..wire ROCKS!

Billy right on the $$ for the tape on the spool. Here is another way to put the wire on solo. You need a tennis ball,screw driver and a vise. put the screw driver thru the wire spool then put the screw driver thru the tennis ball then put the blade of the screw driver in the vise push the screw driver in the vise until you have good tension on the wire spool and your all set you can adjust the tension on the spool just by pushing in on letting out it works great. ;)

Being in the same situation as Jekyll and having him beat me to the question I want to tack on more surrounding wire line. It may be a bit of a newb question but what is the average life expectancy of wire line with a twili tip on your rod?

Thanks,

Lefty

pretty much up the the guy on the end of the rod (kinks,backlash,overtight drag.) or the guy in the boat that runs behind you taking your gear with his riggers.and if your season consist of 5 trips or 50 seems like i manage to screw up my wire bout once every two years or 100 trips

These guys sell the Mason 7-strand wire for 35.99

http://www.biglakeoutfitters.com/index. ... ucts_id=67

I just started fishing out of Sodus last year and after reading this forum set myself up with some AD47LC's on Daiwa 9'6" Heartlands this year. I bought the reels on e-bay thinking they were the SG47LC's because of the Gold color.....got em for around $4o A piece. Oh well live and learn. Upgrady (Hans) told me about the tennis ball trick. worked pretty good!

Zeb, let me know how your new Heartlands work out for you with the wire. I bought a pair of the new 10'6" black-colored model HL-D1062HR-G Heartland's last year from BLO, and after one season the guides are so heavily grooved that the rods are unusable and need to be trashed (or have the guides replaces). It's *all* the guides too, from top to bottom, not just the tip.

On the other hand, I also have 2 of the older 9'6" brown-colored Heartlands that I've been using for over 10 years and the guides look like new. Go figure. I guess they don't make them like they used to. Hope you have better luck than I did. Kindest regards.

-Steve D

Guys thanx for the advice on spooling wire. I had two old 47h's set up with wire but I just spooled 2 new accudepths. One I put on 1000 feet of malin 30 which fit just fine, I used a little backing first so the wire wasn't directly on the spool, and the other one I used 500 feet of steel wire that I had on my old reel and put on backing behind that so the spool was full. I didn't quite use a new spool of dacron backing. I connected the wire and backing together with a number 8 Sproo barrel swivel. It went through the line guide on the reel with no problem. The swivel is 50 lb test so hopefully it will work fine,time will tell.