Seneca Whirling Disease

Last night I fished Seneca with my girlfriend. We had one rainbow that had a deformed spine. Does anyone remember the days when rainbows had whirling disease? Has anyone else seen rainbows with deformed spines? This is the first one I have seen in years. I don't know if this fish had whirling disease, but it looked like what I remember as whirling disease. Just wondered if anyone else has seen this.

Jason 

I've only picked up a laker that had a bad spine ( no other fish like that ) , it was a stocker so I just thought it happen in the hatchery that was 6 or so years ago  , with the rainbows being stocked for a few years now it maybe that ???

Graduation030.jpg

I caught a laker about 15lbs quite a few years back on the north shores of Lake Ontario, I sent it to the MNR, and they said it was probly a issue from the hatchery, or also supposedly if lightining strikes the water and the fish are with in a few meters it can cause that as well.

I've caught quite a few in many different lakes that look like they had broken spine at one point in time and matter of fact caught one laker sunday but they fight normal and swim right off when released... My guess would be a hatchery issue....

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I wasn't trying to suggest we might have whirling disease, I had a laker on keuka with a deformed spine. The rainbow yesterday just reminded me of the disease and I wonder if anyone else remembered it. The hatchery theory seems logical.

Joe, we were testing our new kicker motor, and a couple other things. Our speed control was lousy, so im switching to a kicker for fishing. Ran like a top and has excellent speed control. Even works with my auto pilot. I like it!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app