I'm going to take a beating on this report, and eat crow, but I've really enjoyed fishing for LT lately. Especially since the Other species are not cooperating.

June 21st – We heard the bite was a little tough, but it’s expected! It’s June, and Lady O is transitioning, or stratifying, so it’s nothing new. We headed out with the intentions of going North until we hit the surface break, but plans changed when we started seeing high bait around the 24N line. We finally set her down on the 25N line, and we couldn’t get the rods in for the first 30 minutes. It was a great first light bite, but it would take a major turn for the worse. We struggled to get bit after the first hour of the trip.

We started with a nice spread consisting of our three Cannon DT10’s pulling spoons, two wire divers, and 4 cores (two 5 colors on one board, and two 10 colors on the other). We watched our spread grow throughout the morning with the addition of a 500 copper, a 1 color core, and two slide divers. The extra rods never really helped, but it looked cool!

Some hot spoons on our Cannons were a Dreamweaver Shiznit SS early in the morning with the cloud cover, and a Dreamweaver Raspberry Dolphin SS. We had a 75’ diver taking a few shots pulling a Moonshine Green Shorts, and our only core shot was with a Stinger Stingray Wonderbread.

We made it out to the break at the 30N line, but it was barren, so we made the decision to run back into 100’ of water and grab some Lake Trout. They didn’t stand a chance against those Hammerhead Lake Trolls! We put a few over the rail, and called it a day. We ended the day with two Salmon, and five lake Trout. We dropped quite a few Steelies in the first half of the trip. A couple of them were real tanks! 

IMG_20140621_062833337_zpsli0oaxsy.jpg

June 22nd – Our group chose not to show up until 9am and fish to 1pm. At 8am out of the four charter boats I heard from only two had bites. We figured if we went and played that game we’d be watching rods, and not catching fish. The decision was made to go play with the Lake Trout, and our customers didn’t really care as long as it tugged back.

We made the run to Devils Nose, and set gear. We trolled at 1.8-2.0 on our Moor subtroll. On our Cannon out and downs we ran Hammerhead Lake Trolls, our center Cannon pulled spoons, we ran a 10 color on each board, and two wire divers with meat rigs. Everything took lake Trout! The Hammerhead Lake Trolls did most of the damage, but the 10 color cores were very good with a Dreamweaver Lemon ICE DUV, and a Gold Watermelon SS. 

IMG_20140622_103215320_zps4vnpz4xh.jpg

IMG_20140622_102205893_zpsdza6wux5.jpg

IMG_20140622_110319804_zpsawp7qlo6.jpg

Nice report Rick....felt like I was right there....the ole bread and butter lakers are still fun and some of those dudes are probably 20 to 25 yrs old out there...not many places you'll find them that big or that old around here. :yes:

I find it very generous of you once you try for the species of fish your clients want to target, with no avail that you pick up and make a run to catch fish and keep the folks happy. I have been on a bunch of charters that if the species we where targeting weren't cooperating we didn't try anything different and went back to port with our heads hanging down. It takes a special captain to do what you do. Congrats to your operation and your clients. PAP.

Edited by pap

Rick, when they (customers) want fish and Mr.king wont play, you do what you have to do. :)  They may be chickens, but they are fun to catch and not to mention a little feisty in that cold water :o !!!  I see smiles and that's what matters.  Good job and thanks for the report.

Good game play Rick! I still think the salmon are feeding night time. Early before, and just at first light..and if you are there, rods in the water you get them in the top column of water..they have been chilling deep in mid day not interested in feeding....but hey..then there are those nice picture fish and they need more attention so....barbecue those chickens! Smiles are showing the appreciation of your effort Rick!

cent frum my notso smart fone

Nice going "Yank"….i know the feeling….worked the trench for 2-hrs mon evening, got a pee-you….things will get better,and the bigger smiles will come….

I grew up on the farm and remember when i only dreamed of catching a fish over 10lbs, let alone being worried about what species it was. Now that i am fortunate enough to have a boat and fish the Big O and have caught a few Kings over 20 lbs. Me and my crew could care less if they are Laker's or whatever. Most of my friends and family that go with us are always happy to bring in a big Laker and let it go. I know last year there was a weekend we would of got skunked if it weren't for Lakers. In the end Walleye, Perch taste way better anyway. Nicely done Yankee. All about the smiles!